1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Mailman and qmail -- bounces go to unrelated address and domain

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by DeanC@, Feb 19, 2009.

1. DeanC@

DeanC@ Basic Pleskian

57%
    This is on a CentOS / Plesk 8.6 server but the problem has been occurring with earlier versions of Plesk.

Mailman is not properly deleting bouncing subscribers. I've tried numerous bounce settings on numerous lists on various domains.

That would be okay, I suppose, since the folks who run the lists do periodic "roll calls" to make sure subscribers are active.

However, the returned mail for Mailman lists (various domains) for some reason get sent to an address on a totally different domain that doesn't even use Mailman.

On that domain, the client uses ListMessenger (but has also used Dada, phplist, etc. -- same problem for all). Also, I've set the outgoing mail the for these programs to use php mail, smtp, and so on. Same thing happens no matter how the mail is sent.

Each time she sends out mail from ListMessenger, she gets a multitude of bounces for addresses on other domains' Mailman lists (and not subscribed to her list). And ... since the undeliverable Mailman messages sit in the mail queue for up to seven days, she gets scores upon scores of these bounce notifications -- one for every message sitting in the queue.

Other domains also use ListMessenger, Dada, phplist, etc. But they don't get these incorrect notices. Just this one domain.

Below is a sample of what I'm talking about. (I've changed the email addresses to protect the subscribers and client's confidentiality). Only the subscriber@complanners.com (me) in the original message headers is subscribed to the list, and I received the message. All of the other addresses prior to the headers are not subscribed to her list -- never have been -- they are subscribed to various Mailman lists on other domains.

Any ideas?

2. DeanC@

DeanC@ Basic Pleskian

57%
    Okay, alternatively, can anyone tell me where to file a bug report?

I see scores of places to give Parallels money to fix their own problems, but nowhere to file a bug report.

3. DeanC@

DeanC@ Basic Pleskian

57%
    Great job, Parallels Team! Great job. Use that tough love. It's probably something so simple, you're laughing, thinking, oh, if this guy had a brain, he'd of figured it out himself by now. Well, I haven't. But I understand. Now that you own nearly all control panels, there's no incentive to help anyone. Just hang out and watch that money roll in.