• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Mailman mailings lists

W

Wintermute

Hi all -

I am using mailman but perhaps i should be using something else?

What I am trying to do is set up a mailing list for a domain where the domain owner can email that ONE address and hit all the recipients on that list, but I don't want the recipients to reply to that list and also hit all the recipients- i only want them to be able to email the sender of email/list owner(the domain owner) is there a way to set this up in mailman or plesk ?

thanks

~winter

There is a combination of options to achieve this, I think, hopefully someone will post a solution as I need to know this. Really Mailman has too many options for most people to be bothered with in my experience, it's just gets too confusing for the average user.

Most of my clients are businesses who only want to send out one-way email newsletters for promotion and announcements, Mailman isn't really ideal, also the look is very dated and unprofessional. I'd like to spend some time looking at modifying the look and simplifying the options but I just don't really have the time !

Exactly! You worded it better than I did.
What I am looking for is something that can be used to mail out things like newsletters, notices etc- one way.

Mailman can do it

Here is a solution to your problem

1. Create the mailing list in Plesk

2. Add all the email addresses you want to be on the list, including the one that is allowed to send to it.

2. Go to the mailman webpages for your site - lists.yourdomain.com

3. Login to the list you just created with your password

4. Click on Membership Management. At the bottom set everyone's moderation bit to ON and click the Set button

5. Find the "authorized senders" email address. Unlick the "mod" column and then Submit your changes

6. Click on Privacy Options then Sender Filters

7. Change default_member_moderation to YES. All new members you add through Plesk should not be able to access the list after this

8. Change member_moderation_action to REJECT

9. Optionally add text to member_moderation_notice

10. Click Submit your changes

11. Click General Options

12. Make sure reply_goes_to_list is set to POSTER.

There are lots of other options... check them out

Mike Kabot
President - SOAR
www.soarol.com

Thanks Mike .... there are a lot of options, I wish I could set a lot of those and then hide them from clients to minimise comfusion and a lot of questions !!

"hiding options"

engerylevel,

I usually pick a set of default mailman settings and then disable the lists.mydomain.com web access pages.

This way they can create/delete lists and add/delete users through Plesk, but not gain access to the mailman settings themselves....

Works for simple lists.

Michael Kabot
President - SOAR
www.soarol.com

Default Settings

Is there a way to change the default settings for mailman for each new mailing list created to be read only or do the preferences have to be changed for each mailing list created individually each time ?

Default Settings

Try /etc/mailman/sitelist.cfg or /var/lib/mailman/data/sitelist.cfg

Back