1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Migrating to Plesk Centralized DNS

Discussion in 'Plesk Expand 2.3 General Discussion' started by wyn none, May 8, 2009.

1. wyn none

wyn none Guest

Hello,

We are currently running a primary and secondary nameserver on 2 FreeBSD servers, serving about 10.000 zones.

We are investigating the possibility to migrate to Plesk Centralized DNS.
    Plesk Centralized DNS seems to expect that our webservers are running bind/named for every hosted domain, which is not the case.

Are there any tools or docs available that support the migration of our FreeBSD DNS servers to Plesk Centralized DNS?

Best Regars,

Wyn

2. gold

gold Regular Pleskian

57%
    Have you DNS records between the Plesk servers and your nameservers synchronized?

3. wyn none

wyn none Guest

Hello Gold,
    Thanks for your reply.
    They are not synchronized. You think the best option would be synchronizing the Plesk servers with the primary nameserver and then migrate them to plesk centralized dns?

4. gold

gold Regular Pleskian

57%
    Yes. The Expand replicates DNS records from Plesk servers to central DNS servers.

5. Stephen Hoogendijk

Stephen Hoogendijk Guest

I dont understand..

I want to migrate from an existing Master/Slave bind(debian) installation to a plesk expand CDNS solution so that we can manage the DNS zones by plesk or plesk expand. How do i synchronize the servers? Or perform the migration alltogether?

by hand is not an option, there are thousands of domains hosted by us.

Greetings, Stephen Hoogendijk

6. gold

gold Regular Pleskian

57%
    You can create script to copy DNS zones to Plesk servers. Also you can try to use the Plesk for Windows migration manager but it is solution for Plesk for Windows servers only.

7. Stephen Hoogendijk

Stephen Hoogendijk Guest

But this will be a hard thing to do because plesk uses a database to store tis zone information and bind only uses zone files. Isnt there an easier way of doing this? We do not want windows nameservers.

8. gold

gold Regular Pleskian

57%
    You need to transfer DNS records to Plesk database in any way if you want to manage the DNS zones by Plesk or Expand. You can use the Plesk XML API RPC to add records to Plesk.

9. topspeedst

topspeedst Guest

I think its already simple.

http://methoo.com

10. Raied-scs Issa

Raied-scs Issa Guest

I have plesk 8.6 and I want to synchronize my zone on windows server but how can I do that with migration mananger as you suggested.

Is there another ways I can do that on windows server?

11. Miguel AngelG

Miguel AngelG New Pleskian