• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

[Migration HowTo] Plesk 8.1.1 on Debian 3.1 -> Plesk 8.2 on Debian 4.0

H

Hal9000

This is what I think should be done, please correct me if I'm wrong!

Migrating a Debian 3.1 32 bit system with Plesk 8.1.1 to a Debian 4.0 32 bit system with Plesk 8.2.0
1. Upgrade Plesk 8.1.1 to 8.2.0 for Debian 3.1
2. Once plesk upgrade is finished, uninstall all plesk packages
3. Dist-upgrade the distro to etch
4. Once dist-upgrade is finished, install Plesk 8.2 for Debian 4.0

Migrating a Debian 3.1 32 bit system with Plesk 8.1.1 to a Debian 4.0 64 bit system with Plesk 8.2.0
1. Do all the steps above to get a 32 bit etch system with plesk 8.2
2. Shut down / firewall all services
3. Make a complete backup with the plesk backup utility
4. Format the system and install a clean Debian 4.0 for amd64
5. Install a clean Plesk 8.2 for Debian 4.0 64 bit
6. Restore the backup

Please tell me what you think about these plans, and please tell me if there are mistakes or if some steps can be simplified.
Thanks!
Hal

If you're renting a server I'd just rent a fresh one with Debian 4.0, install Plesk on it and use the Migration Manager to migrate. This way you can do a smoother migration. You can lower the TTL for DNS in advance and switch over DNS when you've checked everything is working on the new server. When things don't work out you can always just continue using your current server until you've worked things out.

(By the way, AFAIK Plesk 8.2 hasn't been released yet.)

i hope they will go the debian way...

1. upgrade plesk to 8.2
2. upgrade to etch
3. finish

Originally posted by danliker
i hope they will go the debian way...

1. upgrade plesk to 8.2
2. upgrade to etch
3. finish

sure it will work fine? the thing is... plesk will surelly distribute different packages, one for debian sarge, one for debian etch...
so doing like that you will end up with a plesk for sarge on an etch system, right?

Originally posted by Hal9000
sure it will work fine? the thing is... plesk will surelly distribute different packages, one for debian sarge, one for debian etch...
so doing like that you will end up with a plesk for sarge on an etch system, right?

if they do it right, no

on the upgrade from sarge to etch we need to change all sarge to etch in the source list (incl. the swsoft repository) and all is fine, that's my dream ;-)

if they do it right, no

on the upgrade from sarge to etch we need to change all sarge to etch in the source list (incl. the swsoft repository) and all is fine, that's my dream ;-)

right, i didn't think about that... let's hope it works that way then :)
but still, if i want to upgrade my os from 32 to 64 bit i guess there will be no way around a format and fresh install :(

Originally posted by Hal9000
but still, if i want to upgrade my os from 32 to 64 bit i guess there will be no way around a format and fresh install :(

i think you have to format and do a fresh install...

it's the only way i know how to do it

if they do it right, no

Yep, that's the Debian way. If everything is done correctly, we'd just need to change all mentions of "sarge" to "etch", and then run apt-get update followed by apt-get dist-upgrade. If all the upgrade scripts were done fine, this should work perfectly :)
I guess that we'd have some minor problems - SWSoft seem kinda stupid at times :p

Speaking of this, Plesk 8.2 should have been released by now :(

Back