• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Migration Manager: no "Source Platform"

I

ioda006

I'm wanting to migrate from cpanel to plesk, but last time I tried it failed miserably; I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it -
The help file for the Migration Manager page says the following

"Select the platform from which you would like to migrate to Plesk from the Source Platform drop-down box. "

On *my* migration manager page there is no such box. Should I have this box available? I get the feeling I should.

Looking at the admin docs and the online help, I would think so too. But just so you don't feel lonely, mine does not show the drop down / pick list either.

This would not be the first time that docs/help lagged behind the code in any software....

The last time you tried it, are you sure you didn't mis-input some data? Like if you don't use 'root', then you *must* specify the sudo password for the source server, as well as:
Note: if you use sudo for migration, make sure that the user account you selected is given all necessary permissions for operating the specified temporary directory on the remote host.
And of course, the temp directory must exist...

The current Plesk Admin manual states you can migrate from cPanel 9. Is that the version you have on the source server??

hm. looks like cpanel is

"cPanel Build 10.2.0-RELEASE 82"

should i have a box for entering a temp directory?

"you can specify the temporary directory that will be used by migration module on a source host."

because.. i definitely dont have that box.

At this point, the temp dir box is irrelevant until you contact Plesk (open a support ticket, don't just email [email protected]) and find out if they have an updated MM to support your cPanel version.

Originally posted by ioda006
I'm wanting to migrate from cpanel to plesk, but last time I tried it failed miserably; I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it -
The help file for the Migration Manager page says the following

"Select the platform from which you would like to migrate to Plesk from the Source Platform drop-down box. "

On *my* migration manager page there is no such box. Should I have this box available? I get the feeling I should.

They have changed interface: looks like now Migration Manager autodetects the panel. You have to enter only login and password.

Yes, but what I am concerned about is that he is using cPanel 10 and the docs still say it only supports v9, best thing is not to assume anything, especially since his first attempt bombed out.

Ok. here's the situation -

the mysql clearing of that table definitely worked - thanks a lot for that tip. never wouldve thought of that.

NOW. i dont know what to do. i'm not entirely sure how plesk works with the migration thing. on the server that all my old stuff is on i'm on a client account, im not on the root one. when i try to log in under my client username and password thats when it screws up and does all that error stuff. its the same error every time.

so! im friends with the guy who runs the server.. he let me in under root for a few minutes to try things and it ALMOST worked.. except for the fact that plesk detected only individual domains of all of HIS clients and only got my main domain (i guess thats just how cpanel organizes stuff). thus i had the option only to choose my main domain and the other ones didnt migrate properly.

still cant find a way for it to work by logging in on my non-root account.

right now im making backups via cpanel and ill see what i can do from there manually.

Oh and here's some more info:

Plesk loves to hide the entire process in multiple steps and of course i can find no screen shots or tutorials, so i never knew how any of it worked until i got in under the root account:

Contrary to documentation it DOES work with cpanel version 10 and even says that in the process

AFTER you get past that screen and it logs in properly and everything THEN you get another screen with the dropdown that asks you which control panel you're using.

After that it gathers data (takes quite some time) and then you get a screen at which you get to pick out which domains to migrate

pity i couldnt get this to work with my account and only th root one. looks like it could've worked very nicely.

Originally posted by ioda006
pity i couldnt get this to work with my account and only th root one. looks like it could've worked very nicely.

I played with this tool, and found that it uses the system files which are not accessible to your account. How would you transfer the files related to your account, but owned by root with permission 600? So you should have root account or user account with sudo enabled (yes, sw-soft guys should update their docs and, maybe, redesign dialogs to make it easier to understand).

Anyway, PMM comes with the plain perl files which do the task of gathering data and you can always refer to them to see how does this tool working.

Actually, the Plesk doc/help screen is quite clear about providing the sudo password if you are not going to use root.

Originally posted by jamesyeeoc
Actually, the Plesk doc/help screen is quite clear about providing the sudo password if you are not going to use root.

It's the only one word about sudo. I think it should be stressed much more.

Back