• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Migration Manager problem (Plesk 2.5.3 to 7.5.4)

S

SpeedPC

hi all

I tried to migrate the accounts from our ol Plesk 2.5.3 box to the new 7.5.4 (both running Debian).

The Migration Manager returns:
'Unable to convert the data to Plesk format:
Unable to run deploy: Empty error message from utility.'

So I tried to manually perform the migration tasks as described somewhere in this forum.

Unfortunately, that didn't work either.

My migration.log shows:

[10:42:53 30.08.2005 | pid 13271]:Deployer | Started (pid 13271, uid 0, euid 0) | '/opt/psa/admin/bin/deployer' '-v' '--translate-dump=/opt/psa/PMM/va
r/dump.xml' '--trans-table=/opt/psa/PMM/PleskX.xsl' '--result-file=/opt/psa/PMM/var/dump_plesk.xml'
[10:42:53 30.08.2005 | pid 13271]:<?xml version="1.0"?>
<message code="ExternalDtdValidationFailedException" severity="error"><context>void tDtdValidator::validateXml(tXmlDocument&amp;, const cstring&amp;)<
/context><file>commons/xml_parse.cpp</file><line>349</line><text>Failed validation of the document with external DTD /opt/psa/PMM/PleskX.dtd. The erro
rs are: ID ip_4996927134 already definedElement domain content does not follow the DTD, expecting (domain_ip , limit* , permission* , mailsystem? , dn
s? , database* , maillist* , traffic? , status? , certificate* , tomcat? , domainuser? , (shosting | fhosting | phosting)? , custom-button*), got Elem
ent domain content does not follow the DTD, expecting (domain_ip , limit* , permission* , mailsystem? , dns? , database* , maillist* , traffic? , stat
us? , certificate* , tomcat? , domainuser? , (shosting | fhosting | phosting)? , custom-button*), got Element domain content does not follow the DTD,
expecting (domain_ip , limit* , permission* , mailsystem? , dns? , database* , maillist* , traffic? , status? , certificate* , tomcat? , domainuser? ,
(shosting | fhosting | phosting)? , custom-button*), got Element domain content does not follow the DTD, expecting (domain_ip , limit* , permission*
, mailsystem? , dns? , database* , maillist* , traffic? , status? , certificate* , tomcat? , domainuser? , (shosting | fhosting | phosting)? , custom-
button*), got Element domain content does not follow the DTD, expecting (domain_ip , limit* , permission* , mailsystem? , dns? , database* , maillist*
, traffic? , status? , certificate* , tomcat? , domainuser? , (shosting | fhosting | phosting)? , custom-button*), got Element domain content does no
t follow the DTD, expecting (domain_ip , limit* , permission* , mailsystem? , dns? , database* , maillist* , traffic? , status? , certificate* , tomca
t? , domainuser? , (shosting | fhosting | phosting)? , custom-button*), got Element domain content does not follow the DTD, expecting (domain_ip , lim
it* , permission* , mailsystem? , dns? , database* , maillist* , traffic? , status? , certificate* , tomcat? , domainuser? , (shosting | fhosting | ph
osting)? , custom-button*), got Element domain content does not follow the DTD, expecting (domain_ip , limit* , permission* , mailsystem? , dns? , dat
abase* , maillist* , traffic? , status? , certificate* , tomcat? , domainuser? , (shosting | fhosting | phosting)? , custom-button*), got Element doma
in content does not follow the DTD, expecting (domain_ip , limit* , permission* , mailsystem? , dns? , database* , maillist* , traffic? , status? , ce
rtificate* , tomcat? , domainuser? , (shosting | fhosting | phosting)? , custom-button*), got Element domain content does not follow the DTD, expectin
g (domain_ip , limit* , permission* , mailsystem? , dns? , database* , maillist* , traffic? , status? , certificate* , tomcat? , domainuser? , (shosti
ng | fhosting | phosting)? , custom-button*), got Element domain content does not follow the DTD, expecting (domain_ip , limit* , permission* , mailsy
stem? , dns? , database* , maillist* , traffic? , status? , certificate* , tomcat? , domainuser? , (shosting | fhosting | phosting)? , custom-button*)
, got Element domain content does not follow the DTD, expecting (domain_ip , limit* , permission* , mailsystem? , dns? , database* , maillist* , traff
ic? , status? , certificate* , tomcat? , domainuser? , (shosting | fhosting | phosting)? , custom-button*), got Element domain content does not follow
the DTD, expecting (domain_ip , limit* , permission* , mailsystem? , dns? , database* , maillist* , traffic? , status? , certificate* , tomcat? , dom
ainuser? , (shosting | fhosting | phosting)? , custom-button*), got .</text></message>

[10:42:53 30.08.2005 | pid 13271]:Deployer | Finished (pid 13271)
[10:49:18 30.08.2005 | pid 13302]:Launchpad | Started (pid 13302, uid 0, euid 0) | '/opt/psa/admin/bin/launchpad' '--help'
[10:49:18 30.08.2005 | pid 13302]:Launchpad | Finished (pid 13302)

For me it looks like the dump.xml (which exists and is filled with information) can't be read because of some format or parsing error.

Has anyone had the same experience?

It may be better for you to upgrade Plesk to 7.5.4 on the source server, then perform a migration using either PMM or psadump/psarestore. You said you're running Debian on both servers, was that a typo?

thanks for your reply

no, we are running Debian on both servers. the plesk 2.5.3 box is running on Debian 3.0 (woody) and the new one on Debian 3.1 (sarge).

Well, upgrading the old server to 7.5.4 might be an option. it just would be bad if the in-place upgrade didn't work and we had to restore the whole configuration. that's the reason why I prefer using PMM instead of first upgrading the old server.

and is it possible to directly upgrade from 2.5.3 to 7.5.4 or would I have to do something like 2.5.3 -> 5.x -> 6.x -> 7.5.4?

You'd have to go 2.5 -> 5 -> 6 -> 7 -> 7.1 -> 7.5.4 for it to work properly. The best solution may be to install 2.5 on the new server, then upgrade it on there. That way psadump will rebuild your Plesk database on the new server meaning there's a smaller likelihood of your encountering problems with the upgrade.

Was Debian officially supported by 2.5.x? I can't remember if it was .... I think that may be your problem though, you're not running an OS which is supported by all releases from 2.5 -> 5 -> 6 -> 7 -> 7.1 -> 7.5.4 so you may hit issues with *every* update until 7.5.4.

PMM might work, just I don't personally trust it for anything other than same version migrations (and sometimes it doesn't even work for those!).

You're right. As far as I remember, Debian wasn't supported by 2.5.x.

Well, the upgrade path you mentioned would be quite a lot of work...
I contacted SWsoft Support and hope they'll find some workaround to get PMM running.

If not, I _really_ have to think about that upgrade path ;-)

I'm getting the same error on SOME domains trying to migrate from a 7.1.6/RH9 server to 7.5.4. It sounds like a bug in the new Migration Manager.

Its got a few that I've seen so far. Like if you don't have the Tomcat packages installed, I got an error on every single domain, and Frontpage stuff wouldn't deploy at all. Even though I don't have Tomcat available on the licence key. Installed the RPM's anyways, and now it works at least.

Back