• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

migration manager, resller ?

B

buddaaa

does anyone know if there will be any improvment in the really really sucking migration manager ? or anything like a real reseller-function (not the marketing-version as it is now).

i'm just at writting my own confixx-import for
ISPconfig but would also like the idea of using the plesk-license i paid for :(

Yes, MIgration Manager impoved. Wait for general availability release.

Originally posted by nb__
Yes, MIgration Manager impoved. Wait for general availability release.

so no reseller-feature :mad:

and "MIgration Manager impoved" means probably "new features which neither work".

> "MIgration Manager impoved" means probably "new features which neither work".

You sure? :)
What parts do not work?

> "MIgration Manager impoved" means probably "new features which neither work".

You sure? :)
What parts do not work?

the only part which worked was downloading the stuff form the old confixx server, then i got only error messages. in the forum i got the tip to not try to import all at once but domain by domain. then i got different error messages. i even tried digging into ConfixxX.pl but with no sucess.

i would anyway wonder how it should work since confixx has a totally different structure, what would happen to the reseller-accounts ?

hum.. try to contact support service to solve your problem. my plesk migration manager works correctly on migration from confixx 2

hum.. try to contact support service to solve your problem.

i've removed plesk quite a while ago for ISPconfig and won't try it again just because the "support service might help". even the FAQ of my provider proposes to not use the migration manager, (sorry, german only):

http://faq.1und1.de/server/root_server/plesk/5.html

my plesk migration manager works correctly on migration from confixx 2

i have confixx 3.1.2 but You're the 1st i know for whom it worked, can You tell me what happened to the reseller accounts ?

As far as I understand reseller accounts migrates as client accounts to Plesk. Works fine on my test beta plesk 8.0 installation.

Originally posted by buddaaa
the only part which worked was downloading the stuff form the old confixx server, then i got only error messages. in the forum i got the tip to not try to import all at once but domain by domain. then i got different error messages. i even tried digging into ConfixxX.pl but with no sucess.

And of course you never send the bugreport, didn't you? How would you think those guys will be able to fix the bugs the are unaware of?

Originally posted by dm__
And of course you never send the bugreport, didn't you? How would you think those guys will be able to fix the bugs the are unaware of?

no, of course i didn't send a bugreport because when the company i rented that license from writes in their FAQ that the migration manager is useless and it should be done manually, i think i can safely assume that swsoft knows about the problem.
also i couldn't find any success-stories about using that migration manager except for single domains, so i could also assume it's public knowledge.
is there some bugzilla for plesk or a public list of know bugs where i could have checked ?
and even if it would work, plesk doesn't support resellers like confixx does, so even an error-free program wouldn't give 100% of the wanted results.

i downloaded plesk-8 and that ConfixxX.pl says in the source:
Agent of migration from 'Confix 2' to 'Plesk 7'

so i don't know if it's really a bug that it doesn't work for confixx 3.1.2 and the problem is my missing bug report ;)

btw: are You letter-letter-underscode-underscore-folks some kind of swsoft-employees ? isn't there at least an internal list what works with the migration-manager and what not ?

Originally posted by buddaaa
btw: are You letter-letter-underscode-underscore-folks some kind of swsoft-employees ? isn't there at least an internal list what works with the migration-manager and what not ? [/B]

Ah, I know nb__ for a while, and we use migration manager regularely in our work (underscore-underscore is the just way to avoid stupid forum limitations on four-letter nicks). I contact developers regularely reporting the bugs (yes, they are also people, and they can't reproduce every imaginable configuration in their test environment). That's the forum for users (I really dunno why swsoft host it in the .swsoft.com domain).

Regarding the confixx migration - there is non-trivial mechanics to convert entities from Confixx to Plesk ones.

Originally posted by dm__
Ah, I know nb__ for a while, and we use migration manager regularely in our work

ah, do You know if in plesk 8 the migration manager treats confixx-codomains as plesk-codomains ?
what do You do in that projets with the old resellers, do they all get the admin-password to be able to create new domains ?
and is there a trick to see which domain belongs to which ex-confixx-reseller (like a prefix or something ?)

(underscore-underscore is the just way to avoid stupid forum limitations on four-letter nicks). I contact developers regularely reporting the bugs (yes, they are also people, and they can't reproduce every imaginable configuration in their test environment). That's the forum for users (I really dunno why swsoft host it in the .swsoft.com domain).

Regarding the confixx migration - there is non-trivial mechanics to convert entities from Confixx to Plesk ones.

i know, i'm halfway thru writting my own migration manager confixx->ISPconfig. that has the big advantage that ISPconfig has also resellers, but the email-system is handled different than in confixx. so i'm in the mood to try plesk8 again at the moment ;)

migration manager in plesk8 finally works for confixx 3

mahlzeit,

no i've used the migration manager from confixx 3.1.2 -> plesk 8, suse 9.3 64bit and it finally works!

problems were only minor and could be solved with some hours work:
- mysql-databases weren't migrated: done manually with mysqldump
- confixx-co-domains were transfered individually, so webpages multiplied, one directory for each co-domain. fixed by migrating only one domain and then entering the co-domains in plesk manually.
- current numbers of pop3-accounts were taken is max-limit in plesk, same for max-HDD-space. fixed quite quick with a group-operation on all domains (would be a lot of manual work if old limits would be needed)
- confixx-resellers were migrated to plesk-clients. confixx-clients are domain-users. since they only can log in with their main-domain (and old password of webXX) i'll send a mail to each of them.
- domain-redirects from confixx didn't all survive.
- some .htaccess/htpasswd didn't come to the new directory, fixed manually
- domains with german umlauts weren't transfered
- needed to change some absolut paths in htaccess, PHP- and CGI-scripts of course.

tip:
before migration stop old server from accepting mail. old mailboxes are converted to Maildir. if the old-server would accept more mail while migrating it would be left on the server.

ciao
arnim

I do not have much experience especially with confixx migrations, but when I used it (on a small domains) clients did not complain.

buddaa's points are also true (I suppose I also was to migrate databases, but don't remember exactly).

Back