• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

moved plesk 7.5.3 reloaded server, lost ftp access

T

tsnoke

We changed the ip on our plesk server in a datacenter migration and now our client is unable to access their sites using ftp from their office.

the logs show that the user is authenticated by proftpd but then the operation times out. What can I do? I have validated that they are not using passive ftp and I am able to connect from different offices, just not this one.

I have even gone so far as to create a VPN access for the clients at the troubled office to connect to the server and they still have the same problems.

How would you trouble shoot this client/server issue?

Is your client trying to connect using the domain name (domain.com) or by IP address? It may be a situation where the DNS changes need to propagate.

You could have them (at least temporarily) set the IP address and Domain name in their Windows HOSTS file. This will bypass the need for a DNS lookup if propagation is the problem.

If they still have the problem, make sure they have configured or disabled all firewalls on their workstation side.

they are able to access the site through domain name and by ip.

when they initiate a session with an ftp client, they are authenticated according to /var/log/secure but then the client times out.

this happens using acctive ftp in IE, WsFTP, Contribute, and the command line.

thanks for looking at this.

It may be timing out due to doing a reverse DNS lookup. If you are using a linux OS edit /etc/proftpd.conf. Be sure that the following section looks like:

# delay on login off
IdentLookups off
UseReverse DNS off

Thanks phoenix, but it is already there.

The really obnoxious bit, is that I am able to use ftp everywhere but their office.

I think a sit down with their IT person is in order.

In that case I'd have to agree with jamesyeeoc, it sounds like a firewall issue on their end. Good luck.

Back