• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Moving from cPanel -> Plesk

A

AplosMedia

Im a current cPanel user, with ServerMatrix.

I really like what plesk offers, and think im ready to make the dive, but I have a few questions...

1. I've been running php 5.0.4. Will I be able to still do this with plesk? I wasn't sure if it's supported or not, or if I can recompile php at will
  2. I run MySQL 4.1.11... Can I still do this with plesk?
  3. Can I move over my cPanel accounts? I will have them backed up to a remote server (i.e. just targzip files) and want to import them into plesk as easily as possible
    [/list=1]

Eric

The answers to your questions are:

1. Yes, you can instal PHP 5.0.4 RPMS.
2. Yes, if you install Plesk 7.5.3 or newer.
3. You can move them using the Plesk migration manager.

Am I forced to use RPM's, or can I just build PHP from source?

- Eric

Plesk itself doesn't necessarily care what you do as the PSA UI uses it's own Apache and PHP instances. Horde may care, so you will want to make sure you enable anything that Horde needs.

As long as Apache can load up the module, you should be OK. Just back things up so you can revert if you run into some funky voodoo.

Regards,

Steve

I think you'd be better with RPM's personally as it'll prevent a lot of problems in future. For example, Plesk upgrades will look for PHP rpm's and if not installed you'll need to force the upgrade, Auto Updater will install PHP rpm itself or fail if you use it, Plesk will not display PHP version in component info correctly, etc.

I mean it might work, but I'd say you're safer using the recommended/supported method of using RPM's ... you can build from source RPM's if you need any customisation.

www.atomicrocketturtle.com

Since we're on the cPanel migration thing, I have a few questions.

When it asks for my name and password and host, do I use the name/password of the server I'm coming from? I assume that what source means.

Do I need SSH on the source for it to work?

Lastly, do I have to have a root server on the source? I only have reseller, and I'm moving to a dedicated server.

Unfortunately you need root SSH access on the source cpanel server for an automated migration.

I think you'd be better with RPM's personally as it'll prevent a lot of problems in future...

Agreed. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Regards,

Steve

Back