1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

MySQL upgrade caused PSA to crash

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by w3it, May 5, 2005.

1. w3it

w3it Guest

Hi
    I have just upgraded using yum mysql version 3.23.58-9.1 to version 12.22 Distrib 4.0.24, for redhat-linux-gnu (i686)

When I refreshed PSA I got the following error:

Unable to connect to database: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) 0: /usr/local/psa/admin/auto_prepend/auth.php3:66 psaerror(string "Unable to connect to database: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)")

Help greatly appreciated on this one!
    Ian

2. jshanley

jshanley Guest

make sure you are pointing at the right mysql.sock file. You can specify where the sock file is, in a file named "/etc/my.cnf"

Do a search on the system and find the previous mysql.sock.

Then specify the location in your my.cnf file. (example versions are included in the plesk/mysql folder; they are named "my-small.cnf, my-medium.cnf, and my-large.cnf"... just copy one of them to /etc/my.cnf and set the sock directive to point to the proper place.

Hope that helps,

-J

3. w3it

w3it Guest

Hi
    this is the current my.cnf. Has the Plesk one been overwritten by yum upgrading? How do I find where yum has placed the upgrades? Could it be the user and password fields?

[mysqld]
    innodb_data_file_path=ibdata1:10M:autoextend
    datadir=/var/lib/mysql
    socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
    skip-networking

[mysql.server]
    user=mysql
    basedir=/var/lib

[safe_mysqld]
    err-log=/var/log/mysqld.log
    pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

4. w3it

w3it Guest

5. Hultenius

Hultenius Guest

Have you tried to restart mysqld?

For me, MySQL always stops working (but is running) after upgrade to a newer version.
    A simple restart of mysqld does the trick (at least for me).

6. w3it

w3it Guest

Hi and thanks

Thats what it was! Once I restarted, it worked fine. Bit poor that no prompt was given that I should restart mysql. Still at least I know for next time.

7. faris

faris Guest

And for anyone reading this thread looking for help in the future, I find that ALWAYS after an mysql upgrade I have to reboot the server. restarting mysql just doesn't work for me.

Faris.

8. atomicturtle

atomicturtle Golden Pleskian

This is a bug in psa, they've got a bad trigger on mysql that doesn't detect upgrade events with mysql correctly.