1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

mysql won't start after upgrade

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by Tormente, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Tormente

Tormente Guest

--- pasted from terminal:

hosting:/etc/mysql# /etc/init.d/psa start
    Starting xinetd service... done
    Starting bind9 service... done
    Starting mysql service... failed
    Starting qmail service... done
    Starting courier-imap service... done
    Starting postgresql service... not installed
    Starting psa-spamassassin service... done
    ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
    websrvmng: Unable to connect to Plesk Database: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
    System error 2: No such file or directory
    websrvmng: Unable to connect to Plesk Database: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
    websrvmng: Unable to connect to the mysql database

websrvmng: Unable to connect to the mysql database

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
    Starting Plesk... done
    hosting:/etc/mysql#

----

there is nothing in /var/run/mysqld/

any ideas? server is comlpletly down. no web, no control panel, no mail.

2. Tormente

Tormente Guest

saw this in the server logs as I was trying to start mysql.

==> /var/log/syslog <==
    Aug 13 14:17:11 hosting /etc/init.d/mysql[21570]: 0 processes alive and '/usr/bin/mysqladmin --defaults-file=/etc/mysql/debian.cnf ping' resulted in
    Aug 13 14:17:11 hosting /etc/init.d/mysql[21570]: ^G/usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
    Aug 13 14:17:11 hosting /etc/init.d/mysql[21570]: error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)'
    Aug 13 14:17:11 hosting /etc/init.d/mysql[21570]: Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' exists!
    Aug 13 14:17:11 hosting /etc/init.d/mysql[21570]:

3. Tormente

Tormente Guest

Solved!

Apparently psa-firewall and psa-security (?) where causing a dependency conflict, so I removed psa-firewall. everything seems to be ok now - other than the fact that I have no firewall module.