1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice

Named / Bind doesnt start

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by tamen, Oct 27, 2005.

1. tamen

tamen Guest

I have just installed Plesk 7.5.4 on Freebsd 5.4 The only problem I have is named not starting automatically. I have to SHH into the server and do a /usr/sbin/named -c /etc/named.conf -t /usr/local/psa/named/run-root/

After named have been started I can manage domains, before it gives me and rndc error.

Whether named is running or not, Plesk shows it to be running in "Serviec Management" clicking stop/reload have no effect. I dontget an error in plesk. If I clcik stop nothing happens, if I click restart I get a message in /var/log/messages: Event manager[1812]: Can't execute /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/modules/watchdog/stop-monit.php: Permission denied
    So I might be having a permission issue. How do I fix it?

TIA, Nis.

2. tamen

tamen Guest

Alternativly, can I disable DNS altogether in Plesk? DNS is managed by a different computer anyway. The Plesk machine just serves the website and email.

3. phoenixisp

phoenixisp Silver Pleskian

57%
    Logs are very helpful in determining problems. That being said, it would appear that Watchdog may be causing the problem. It is very buggy - uninstall it and see if that helps.

4. tamen

tamen Guest

I just removed Watchdog, no difference.

5. phoenixisp

phoenixisp Silver Pleskian

57%
    What does the log tell you after you removed Watcgdog?

6. tamen

tamen Guest

Nothing really. Nothing is added to /var/log/messages when I try to stop/restart Bind.

7. tamen

tamen Guest

Named is still running, and havent been restarted.

8. etan

etan Guest

i had major problems with named on freebsd 5.4
    I opting to go with freebsd 5.3 instead, everything runs perfectly.

9. tamen

tamen Guest

Oh, well.
    Its not that big a problem anyway. I just need to restart named everytime i try yo change/update/create a new domain.
    Everything seems to run fine when named is not running as DNS is served by five other machines.

10. DCoats

DCoats Guest

Here are the specific's that I can tell

PSA for some reason on FREEBSD 5.4 writes to /usr/local/psa/named/run-root/etc/named.conf while the actual named.conf that is in use by named is /usr/local/psa/named/run-root/etc/namedb/named.conf
    I have tried alot of different ways to solve/work around this issue, It would seem that a simple symlink from /usr/local/psa/named/run-root/etc/namedb/named.conf to /usr/local/psa/named/run-root/etc/named.conf would solve this issue, but when plesk writes a new domain to /usr/local/psa/named/run-root/etc/named.conf the symlink is overwritten by the actual file, therefore the rndc reload doesnt load the ..../etc/named.conf just written by psa it loads the ...../etc/namedb/named.conf that was already in use by named.

In addition I have also tried linking the other way from ..../etc/named.conf to ...../etc/namedb/named.conf but in this case named will not start, named in a chroot dir will not start using a symlink as specified in /etc/rc.d/named.

If we simply start named using /usr/sbin/named -c /etc/named.conf -t /usr/local/psa/named/run-root/ all is fine accept the fact that the plesk panel doesnt know that named is running. So you dont have the ability to stop/start/restart from plesk panel.

So we let plesk start named itself which uses /etc/rc.d/named which in turn starts named using /usr/sbin/named -t /usr/local/psa/named/run-root/ therefore its using the namedb/named.conf

The best way to fix this issue would simply be to tell psa to write to /usr/local/psa/named/run-root/etc/namedb/named.conf
    and stop writing to /usr/local/psa/named/run-root/etc/named.conf
    or to tell psa to start and stop named with -c /etc/named.conf option instead of using the default /etc/rc.d/named script which assumes named.conf is in /etc/namedb -someone please suggest how to do this or tell me another fix, please.

Im now at the point that i have just cp /usr/local/psa/named/run-root/etc/named.conf /usr/lcoal/psa/named/run-root/etc/namedb/named.conf whenever a domain is added and rndc relaod.

11. ShadowMan@

ShadowMan@ Guest

Ah, I thought I was losing my mind, but it's just a double post! I posted this on your other thread as well:

Check your psa.conf file (not sure where it's located on FreeBSD) for the following line:
    (this is taken from a RedHat Linux system, /etc/psa/psa.conf)

This tells Plesk where the BIND root directory is, change it to where you would like Plesk to use for bind/named