• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

New Domains Require Manual Apache Restart

J

jwilson

New domains that I setup are not visible in the browser.
I can use FTP, upload files and see the files in FTP.

To make them viewable in the browser, I can restart Apache from the Server Administration Page thru Service Management.

My Apache restart interval showed 900 seconds. I guess this means that Apache is supposed to restart every 15 minutes which would update for newly added domains. Mine seems not to do this, since (so far) I have only got them to update by manual restart of Apache.

I have had my server setup only 10 days and am totally new to running my own server.

Thanks for any help.

I don't pay any attention to the restart, i do it as part of the domain creation process out of habit. But in theory you are correct, Plesk automatically restarts Apache for new domains to become active.

Does plesk not only reload apache? Because when I add a domain, all other domains keep available

just chiming in to say i'm having this problem, too. plesk 7.5.2 on fedora core 2.

I've never seen this problem with RH9 servers, and they don't list it as a problem fixed in the 7.5.3 changelog.

Normally Plesk will auto restart Apache upon domain creation, so 'normally' it is not needed to be done manually.

Since I am always making changes to different config's, I also am in the habit of restarting Apache, Bind, etc.

Apache does not require much time to restart, so your other domains really won't notice it when you manually restart it. Unless there is some other problem and Apache can't reload....

hi,

i use 4 other plesk servers and none of them have this problem.

it is a bigger issue than convenience because i have resellers ("clients") and of course i don't give them root access or plesk admin user access to restart apache, so if they create a domain then it won't work until i go in and restart apache.

for now i've just cron'd an hourly apachectl graceful and that takes care of the worst of people's frustration.

I have this problem on FC2.
I had to set a cron job to reload apache's config files rather than doing it by hand.

Maybe this problem comes from the fact that i changed the usermng binary for a new one from Plesk because of a quota issue...

-David

Ah, I see. True, I was thinking from the 'convenience' aspect (sorry).

Have you opened a trouble ticket from the Plesk support site?

Originally posted by divad
I have this problem on FC2.
I had to set a cron job to reload apache's config files rather than doing it by hand.

Maybe this problem comes from the fact that i changed the usermng binary for a new one from Plesk because of a quota issue...

-David

i had this problem before i changed the usermng file. (though i have changed it recently, it didn't affect the restart issue either way)

Originally posted by jamesyeeoc
Ah, I see. True, I was thinking from the 'convenience' aspect (sorry).

Have you opened a trouble ticket from the Plesk support site?

i probably won't open a support ticket because i don't feel like spending money and my license is through 1&1 in this case. i'll just leave it to others who are concerned enough to do so. (i just wanted to make it known that there are more out there having this problem, and let them know my plesk version and OS).

thanks.

Back