• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

newbie question

J

jeffiec

i cannot find the file manager icon, am i loosing my eyesite or where should i be looking?
Thanks
Jeff

Admin>>Domains>>[domain name]>> File Manager.

Is it not there?

Craig

haha .. you have to have a domain before you can view it's files. : )

Craig

Thanks for the support craig, i thought i could install software specific to the domain server not the website it self.
Jeff

Wait, eeeeeeerrrrrt! : )

What are you talking about? Install software? Please explain, I think you may have asked the wrong question to find out what you were trying to do. The "file manager" that you asked about is just a place to see all the files and folders inside a domain (user uploaded files, directory structure of the domain (httpdocs, etc)). It sounds like you want to do something else. Please explain so we can try to help you out.

Thanks!

Craig

i am new to linux, i just rented a vitual server and i am tring to setup a domain, somewhere i dont know where, i found a webstats program. i tryed to install it under "modules, but i have to upload it first. so how do i upload it to the server?
Jeff

the plesk server admin (PSA) have a webstatistics for each site it is located (on PSA R-7.5.1) in www.domain.tld/plesk-stats

if you want to install something different, first i recomend you to get a spare box near you, install the OS of the server you have, get a trial plesk licence (1 domain) and test instalations "thats the way i work my stuff out", that will allow you to learn how plesk works, and also will be a good point to start learning linux.

regards,

JLChafardet is right, Plesk already has a statistics feature built in. If I were you I would take the time to first learn Plesk as it is before trying to make any changes. I know that when I first started to learn Linux and Plesk I got overwhelmed because I was trying to do too much at once.

If you just need to host one website or even just a few I would host with a hosting company for now, learn Linux and Plesk, and then venture to have your own server if you can justify it. For just a few domains I am not sure how you could but if you can you will want to learn it first so you are not wasting money.

I would recommend going to the bookstore and buying a good book on Fedora Core 2 that has the installer CD's or DVD included. The book will walk you through installing Fedora on a computer either as the only O/S or as a dual boot with windows. It will then walk you through the learning process of Linux. Once you get that down a little you can download and install Plesk on the server free (it is a demo with a license for only one domain with one email address). It is enough to play with and learn on. Read the forums and you will find interesting info too but most of the things people are trying to do are advanced things that you do not necessarily need to get going so do not think you have to learn everything on the forums before getting started, you can get started with a fresh install of Fedora and the Plesk auto installer.

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions.

Craig

Back