• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Resolved nginx conf blocks exe files

H.W.B

Regular Pleskian
Hello,
I have a problem that i want to get some exe files from a directory on the server.
I getting 403 error.
This is because the nginx.conf is blocking this.
How can i allow exe files for a specific directory to get tru??
.htaccess does not work because the nginx.conf override that....

Henk

Nginx should not block the download. Have you checked your log file entry what exactly it says for the 403 error that you encounter? Mostly it is the Web Application Firewall (ModSecurity) that is causing it. If you are on a Windows system, it could also be an antivirus-software that is locally installed where the webserver is running that is blocking this filetype.

Hello Peter,

It was not the ModSecurity, but Wordpress what was causing this problem.
New security settings where blocking downloading from EXE files.
Setting disabled, and now everything is working fine now.

Thank you

It was not the ModSecurity, but Wordpress what was causing this problem.
New security settings where blocking downloading from EXE files.
Setting disabled, and now everything is working fine now.
Hi, I am running into the same problem and found this topic.
Can you please tell me what kind of security setting in Wordpress could prevent a directlink to a file from being downloaded? I am not aware of such an option.
My ModSecurity is completely empty, I am still thinking Nginx is the culprit. I am using plesk, where do I find the config for that?

Hi, I am running into the same problem and found this topic.
Can you please tell me what kind of security setting in Wordpress could prevent a directlink to a file from being downloaded? I am not aware of such an option.
My ModSecurity is completely empty, I am still thinking Nginx is the culprit. I am using plesk, where do I find the config for that?

WordPress only checks for what goes 'up' and restrictions on what goes down would be at a hosting/browser level barring any specific security or other plugins at the application layer.

Back