• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

No one can initiate SMTP conversation with my server. Can't receive mail!

D

Dragons Master

Heya Folks,

Like everyone I too have upgraded to v7.5.4 and ever since my life has been hell. TONS and I mean TONS of none working things but I didn't mind.. the real big problem is the mail - I cannot receive emails. I didn't notice it until now because I have contact us pages that use php mail() function, and that gets delivered to me, also when I send myself emails from horde on my server it gets to me - but whenever another server tries to send me an email he gets an error like "Connection Refused" or "TEMP_FAILURE: Could not initiate SMTP conversation with any hosts:
[mail.dgemu.com. (10): Connection refused]"

Please help, I losing mails every second :(

Check the maillog and see why it might be complaining. Is the firewall blocking port 25?

Some others with post-upgrade SMTP problems have done one or more of the following:

1) Remove Watchdog
2) Remove DrWeb
3) Manually re-install Qmail and Courier-imap
4) Check that the /etc/xinetd.d/smtp_psa was not renamed
5) Restart the server after the upgrade, not just restarting services.

If I think of any other things, I'll post again.

TONS OF THANKS! w00h00!

All I did was kick DrWeb's *** and restart and it worked like a baby.

BTW, about an antivirus hehe, anything u can recommend?

I would recommend using yum to install ART's qmail-scanner and clamd, it's automatic, self-updating, scans incoming and outgoing.

I also uninstall the psa-spamassassin (since I don't pay them for the license to have a GUI interface to SA) and also use ARTs Spamassassin (newer version than Plesk gives also).

o_O where do I get art's qmail-scanner and clamd? I tried installing with yum but I get cannot find a package matching qmail-scanner boohoo :p

Code:
# yum install qmail-scanner
Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Base
Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - freshrpms
Server: Fedora Legacy updates
Server: Fedora Legacy utilities for Fedora Core 2
Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Cannot find a package matching qmail-scanner
No actions to take

Ahhh no no no no :(

Ah I should learn to live things in their working state hehe, I installed qmail-scanner, already had uptodate calmd.

I rebooted, tried sending mail, got "451 qq temporary problem (#4.3.0)", googled, looked around, found out that I am having too many things missing (is not having /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd/run bad? hehe) so I said let's rollback, removed qmail-scanner, and now I can't send or receive emails :(

Any saving ideas for me? damn just when things started to work again hehe.

oh yeah I also ran this after reading it in some forum looking for the 451 qq temp problem fix:
"exec /usr/bin/softlimit -m 40000000"

It closed my SSH connection right after I ran it.. o_O spooky stuff.

EDIT:
My bad, it appears I can send emails :) just not receive anything..

omg.. i told u i'm missing shitloads of things.. just ran 'yum install qmail-scanner' again, it installed and gave me
Code:
install: cannot stat `qmail-scanner-queue.pl': No such file or directory
setuidgid: fatal: unable to run /var/qmail/bin/qmail-scanner-queue.pl: file does not exist
setuidgid: fatal: unable to run /var/qmail/bin/qmail-scanner-queue.pl: file does not exist
chmod: cannot access `/var/qmail/bin/qmail-scanner-queue.pl': No such file or directory
Installed:  qmail-scanner 1:1.25-9.rhfc2.art.noarch
Transaction(s) Complete

then I though oh heck let's try run this reconfigure thingy, and check this out:
Code:
# /usr/bin/qmail-scanner-reconfigure
Configuring qmail-scanner: install: cannot stat `qmail-scanner-queue.pl': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/var/qmail/bin/qmail-scanner-queue.pl': No such file or directory
OK

At least the only thing I mess up is the mail server <_< lol

Hopefully you had already uninstalled both DrWeb packages.

I believe you said you already had clamav installed, you may want to uninstall that one and install the one from ART as well (yum clamav) and then configure clamav, then run the reconfigure script.

Could also be due to something wrong with qmail-queue.
http://www.atomicrocketturtle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2007#2007

Check what version of Spamassassin is on your box. If it's still the 2.6.x which came from Plesk, if you 'rpm -q psa-spamassassin' and it shows as being installed, then try this:

Stop Spamassassin and run "yum install qmail-scanner"
Then "/usr/bin/qmail-scanner-reconfigure"
Then start SA again and everything runs smoothly.
From a thread at ARTs forums.

These problems don't happen often, it really depends on what is already on a given server. I normally do this pretty early in a server's life and have never had any of these errors myself..... so I've been searching ARTs forums...

hmm I got the latest psa-spamassasin and it was turned off when i did it anyways.

And yeah I do have clamav o_O
Code:
]# yum update clamav
Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
Server: Atomic Rocket Turtle - 2 - Atomic PSA-Compatible RPMS
Server: Atomic Rocket Turtle - 2 - Atomic PSA App Vault RPMS
    Server: Atomic Rocket Turtle - 2 - Base OS RPMS mirror
Server: Atomic Rocket Turtle - 2 - SW-Soft PSA 7.5 RPMS
Server: Atomic Rocket Turtle - 2 - OS Update RPMS mirror
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
clamav is installed and the latest version.

same for clamd.

Well I get the following errors in my email (i get certain logs to my email):
Code:
[Wed, 19 Oct 2005 16:52:00 +0200] qmail on not.showing.com: Connection failed.
'qmail' failed protocol test [SMTP] at INET[localhost:25].

I reset, it works for a while, I can send mail using my mail client, and then it gets screwed up again and I have to use webmail.. oh lord this update has ruined my will to live.. this kinda **** never happened with cPanel, but I had to switch, had to ruin my beautiful cpanel-ish life hehehe..

Anyways thanks a lot, i think i'll just leave it that way for a while, life without an email are much easier anyway ;)

hmmm... ehhh.. whoops :) u never said remove it, the big deal was always just DrWeb :p hehe okay so here's what's new (# is my line, > is output, I put .... where content is not important :

Code:
# yum remove psa-watchdog
> ......
> Transaction(s) Complete
# yum remove clamd
> ......
# yum install clamd
> ......
# yum install qmail-scanner
> ...... (NO ERRORS! w00t!)
# /usr/bin/qmail-scanner-reconfigure
> Configuring qmail-scanner: OK
# sudo reboot

So I'm thinking "Hey, let's try sending an email".. I open my thunderbird, hit my gmail address and get the following:
"connecting to SMTP server mail.<...>.com failed."

and it appears like I can't send or receive emails (not even with webmail! that.. sux..)

I'll give it a few reboots and an hour to rest before i kill qmail scanner lol.

u never said remove it
In my first post:
Some others with post-upgrade SMTP problems have done one or more of the following:

1) Remove Watchdog
2) Remove DrWeb
3) Manually re-install Qmail and Courier-imap
4) Check that the /etc/xinetd.d/smtp_psa was not renamed
5) Restart the server after the upgrade, not just restarting services.

oh well my mind emphasized "one or more" lol.. anyways I removed qmail-scanner and then I noticed smtp_psa is called smtp.psa and also noticed a smtps.psa so I copied both and replaced dots with underscores and restarted and I could send emails (but not received) so I reinstalled qmail-scanner (man that qmail-scanner will kill me) and restarted the server..

So first thing I test is sending mail out.. I tried.. and tada - sending mail works great.

Then I normally attempt to receive mail.. So I open up my gmail account, and send it to 4 email addresses I have - 1 hotmail, 1 yahoo, 1 on a cPanel server I have and 1 to an email on the Plesk server we're talking about and.. HOLY ****! all received it! even the one that was buggy! w00t!

Thank you so so so so much my friend.. I feel like I owe you far more than just thanks.. hmm I'm not in the best shape so 50$ is all I can offer you, and I DEMAND you to take it for you have been amazingly helpful and had infinite tolerance..

PM me your paypal email addy and then send me an email to [email protected] (an email on the plesk server) - this way I can be sure I actually get emails ;)

Thank you so so so so so so very much! You made me see one huge good thing about plesk - it's forums :p

- Dragons Master

Back