• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Official support for PHP 5.2.6 or higher

N

NoneN

When will Plesk "officially" support PHP 5.2.6 or higher? From what I understand the latest version of PHP that is "officially" supported is 5.1.6. There are many people who now need 5.2.x or higher support. (for example, the new vBulletin 4.0 REQUIRES PHP 5.2.x or higher (recommends 5.2.6 or higher)).

I'd rather not have to migrate my site to cPanel if I don't absolutely need, but unless we can get some official support for a PHP version that is more up-to-date it may be the only option for many.

Well, If I correctly understood you mean PHP for customer's vhosts? And what do you mean "Official support for PHP 5.2.6 or higher"? According Plesk 9.2.3 release note PHP 5 is already supported and you can use any 5.x version. What is the problem here?

I have a Server (CentOS) running Plesk 9.2.3 and am told by my provider that PHP 5.1.6 is the highest version of PHP available for Plesk.

This is what I received from my provider:

The latest version of PHP supported by the plesk control panel is "5.1.6-23.2.el5_3". If PHP is upgraded to other versions higher than "5.1.6-23.2.el5_3", it will create conflict with the plesk control panel.

Plesk officially supports the PHP version which comes along with the OS installed in your VPS. The OS yum repository doesn't provide the PHP version 5.2.x at this moment. But this contains the PHP version PHP 5.1.6 with all security patches applied. It is possible to upgrade the PHP version in plesk using any third party yum reositories such as atomic, but that will break the official support for plesk. That is, we won't be able to proceed with Plesk upgrade after that. If you are ready with that, we can assist you to install latest PHP 5.2.x in your server.

Well. Let me clarify a little bit. There are two PHP on Plesk server - one for customer's vhosts and one for Plesk admin interface operation. Really, you can't upgrade PHP for Plesk panel interface operation because it will break Plesk. But you can safely upgrade customer's PHP without any problems. You can compile it from source too. Just detect original options for ./configure with usual phpinfo() for default PHP and use it for compiling. A lot of Plesk users have latest PHP version for customers vhosts and it works fine.

Well. Let me clarify a little bit. There are two PHP on Plesk server - one for customer's vhosts and one for Plesk admin interface operation. Really, you can't upgrade PHP for Plesk panel interface operation because it will break Plesk. But you can safely upgrade customer's PHP without any problems. You can compile it from source too. Just detect original options for ./configure with usual phpinfo() for default PHP and use it for compiling. A lot of Plesk users have latest PHP version for customers vhosts and it works fine.
I am a customer on a vhost and I need PHP 5.2.6 (with APC), so what you are saying is, my provider could actually upgrade my vhost to PHP 5.2.6 w/APC without breaking Plesk and I would be able to continue to upgrade my Plesk Control Panel in my vhost as new versions of Plesk come out without any problems???

If you are not Plesk server administrator, that upgrade PHP and Plesk can perform only your provider (Plesk server administrator).

Back