• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

OS Recommendations

L

lpittman

Hello everyone ... I am currently running a RH 7.3/Plesk 7.5 and am looking to ordering a new server and was wondering what was the 'norm' for 8.0, if any.

I do basic hosting stuff, nothing fancy. Any recommendations/suggestions/opinions would be great.

I am currently considering FC4, but only because I'm slightly firmiliar with it.

I am a novice Linux user if that makes any difference...

Looking forward to responses. = )

Luke

I'd go with CentOS 4 if you're slightly familiar with Fedora. CentOS works just the same, it's free but has a much longer lifecycle than Fedora.

Thanks for the feedback ... Is it only the longer life cycle that does it for you? Perhaps could outline some of the other advantages, if any... = )

Anyone else have any preferences?

Luke

CentOS is a free rebuild of the non-free Red Hat Enterprise Linux. If you're familiar with the Red Hat way of Linux (RHEL/Fedora/CentOS), I'd go with CentOS.

Will CentOS 4.3 work fine? That's all I can find for some reason.

why not fedora?

Hi to everyone
I also want to switch to a new server and since i have been using a centos 3.6 i think to installa either a newer centos or a fedora, probably 4
Any feedback on either of them with plesk 8?
Thanks

Is plesk compatible with both of them?
I need php4 cause of the scripts i use in my websites and i thought that plesk uses php5...

Plesk uses whatever PHP version your OS installs. Fedora 4 comes with PHP 5, CentOS 4 has PHP 4.

It is possible to install PHP 5 on OSes that don't come with PHP 5 out of the box, but it is not completely trivial to make this work seemlessly with Plesk. The Atomic Rocket Turtle repository has created Plesk-compatible PHP 5 packages for Red Hat/CentOS/Fedora releases that don't come with PHP 5 out of the box. If you want to set this up check out http://www.atomicrocketturtle.com/Joomla/content/view/141/29/

Thanks a looooot Breun!!!!
I supose you use plesk 8 or not?
How do you evaluate it so far?

I maintain a good lot of different systems: some run Plesk 7.5, some run Plesk 8, some run Fedora, some run CentOS... If it's up to me I usually go for Plesk 8 on CentOS 4.

Back