1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

OS Recommendations

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by lpittman, Jul 23, 2006.

1. lpittman

lpittman Guest

Hello everyone ... I am currently running a RH 7.3/Plesk 7.5 and am looking to ordering a new server and was wondering what was the 'norm' for 8.0, if any.

I do basic hosting stuff, nothing fancy. Any recommendations/suggestions/opinions would be great.

I am currently considering FC4, but only because I'm slightly firmiliar with it.

I am a novice Linux user if that makes any difference...

Looking forward to responses. = )

Luke

2. breun

breun Golden Pleskian

I'd go with CentOS 4 if you're slightly familiar with Fedora. CentOS works just the same, it's free but has a much longer lifecycle than Fedora.

3. lpittman

lpittman Guest

Thanks for the feedback ... Is it only the longer life cycle that does it for you? Perhaps could outline some of the other advantages, if any... = )

Anyone else have any preferences?

Luke

4. breun

breun Golden Pleskian

CentOS is a free rebuild of the non-free Red Hat Enterprise Linux. If you're familiar with the Red Hat way of Linux (RHEL/Fedora/CentOS), I'd go with CentOS.

5. crnunez

crnunez Regular Pleskian

90%
    RHEL4 or CentOS4.3 are goods!

6. lpittman

lpittman Guest

Will CentOS 4.3 work fine? That's all I can find for some reason.

7. breun

breun Golden Pleskian

Yes, CentOS 4.3 will work just fine.

8. Hultenius

Hultenius Guest

Go for CentOS 4.x.

9. tolis

tolis Guest

why not fedora?

Hi to everyone
    I also want to switch to a new server and since i have been using a centos 3.6 i think to installa either a newer centos or a fedora, probably 4
    Any feedback on either of them with plesk 8?
    Thanks

10. breun

breun Golden Pleskian

Go with Fedora 4 if you need PHP5 out of the box, otherwise go with CentOS 4.

11. tolis

tolis Guest

Is plesk compatible with both of them?
    I need php4 cause of the scripts i use in my websites and i thought that plesk uses php5...

12. breun

breun Golden Pleskian

Plesk uses whatever PHP version your OS installs. Fedora 4 comes with PHP 5, CentOS 4 has PHP 4.

It is possible to install PHP 5 on OSes that don't come with PHP 5 out of the box, but it is not completely trivial to make this work seemlessly with Plesk. The Atomic Rocket Turtle repository has created Plesk-compatible PHP 5 packages for Red Hat/CentOS/Fedora releases that don't come with PHP 5 out of the box. If you want to set this up check out http://www.atomicrocketturtle.com/Joomla/content/view/141/29/

13. tolis

tolis Guest

Thanks a looooot Breun!!!!
    I supose you use plesk 8 or not?
    How do you evaluate it so far?

14. breun

breun Golden Pleskian

I maintain a good lot of different systems: some run Plesk 7.5, some run Plesk 8, some run Fedora, some run CentOS... If it's up to me I usually go for Plesk 8 on CentOS 4.

15. tolis

tolis Guest

OK thanks for all your help
    appreciate it...