• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Outbound messages being lost?

W

webcanada

Hello all -

We've got a user that's reported that they are experiencing long delays (up to one minute) when trying to send mail using our Plesk server. And, that messages that are sent out aren't delivered for hours, and others are totally gone.

They are using Eudora on Mac.

How do I go about troubleshooting this?

I've thought of looking in a mail log, but the /var/log/mail file has 0 bytes (as do mail.1, .2, .3...)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Peter.

Originally posted by webcanada
Hello all -

We've got a user that's reported that they are experiencing long delays (up to one minute) when trying to send mail using our Plesk server. And, that messages that are sent out aren't delivered for hours, and others are totally gone.

They are using Eudora on Mac.

How do I go about troubleshooting this?

I've thought of looking in a mail log, but the /var/log/mail file has 0 bytes (as do mail.1, .2, .3...)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Peter.

Try looking here:

/usr/local/psa/var/log

Thanks!

The logs were there!

But, they are like 50-100mb per day! :-(

Any idea how I can track down what's wrong with these messages?

Peter.

Thanks!

The logs were there!

But, they are like 50-100mb per day! :-(

Any idea how I can track down what's wrong with these messages?

Peter.

What are the error messages?

Well there are no error messages per se.

So far, the only thing I've determined is that our user claims the messages are arriving hours late, or not at all.

I'm trying to figure out how to track this?

Tks,

Well, I'm somewhat of a novice about thiese things myself. But I would think that if your log files are that big, then there must be some errors or something being generated to make them that large...unless you are processing thousands of emails.

I have been having my own qmail issues which are not entirely solved yet. That article is here:

http://forum.swsoft.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32421

I recently found the message:

qmail_has_prog_delivery_but_has_x_bit_set

which means that my permissions on my mailusers .qmail file was 755 which I changed to 644 and all is working.

Question: Is everyone on the server reporting the same issue or just this one cutomer?

We do process a large number of messages, probably 90% of them inbound though.

I just tried opening the log file on the server, and I can't seem to find a text reader on the box ... hmm... what do you use?

I just donwload the log via WinSCP and open in wordpad...I know, some linux people would shoot me ;) but it works for me.

We do process a large number of messages, probably 90% of them inbound though.

I just tried opening the log file on the server, and I can't seem to find a text reader on the box ... hmm... what do you use?

I think you mean something like nano or pico ?

eg

nano /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog

Another way to see what has happened last in the log is to use tail

eg

tail /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog

Is this what you were looking for ?

Back