• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

outlook imap junk filtering

P

paperlion

Thought I saw something on this elsewhere in the forums here, but don't recall exactly where.

I would like to save bandwidth and start to use IMAP email instead of POP3 (or POP3 downloading headers only), but have run into the following problem.

With any protocol other than regular (download-all) POP3, I can't set my Junk Filter on incoming mail (headers). Well I can, but nothing happens - unless the email has been fully downloaded into Outlook already.

Has anyone experienced this -- and found a fix for it.

thanks.

(The thread I thought I saw on this had to do with non-IIS servers experiencing this problem, but not Microsoft IIS ones.)

Hy paperlion,

why not setting up the solution on the server itself ???

We made it with procmail and let the spams of the clients sort in a imap spam folder.

Additional our clients get a mail in the morning, how much spam is in the spamfolder, how much are new received in the last 24 hours and the spam-folder is auto-cleaned from spam-mails oder than 14 days.

If you need help with this, let me know.

Greetings from the border to Salzburg (Austria)

Sounds good. Am a real newbie though - can I get to procmail and its controls from the Plesk panel? root SSH?

If the latter, have you seen any walk-throughs online anywhere?

Thanks.

Originally posted by paperlion
Sounds good. Am a real newbie though - can I get to procmail and its controls from the Plesk panel? root SSH?
Let's go...

1) Create a folder eg. spam with your webmail account or imap.

2) Go to the users mailroot (eg. /var/qmail/mailnames/domain/user) and create a file called .procmailrc with:

SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/var/qmail/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
HOME=/var/qmail/mailnames/domain/user
MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir/new
SPAM=$HOME/Maildir/.spam/new
LOGFILE=$HOME/procmail.log
VERBOSE=off

:0:
* ^X-Spam-Flag: YES
{
EXITCODE=99
:0w
$SPAM
}

EXITCODE=0

3) Modify the .qmail file in the users mail-root and ad the following line:

|preline /usr/bin/procmail -m .procmailrc

The .qmail with plesk should look something like this:

| /usr/local/psa/bin/psa-spamc accept
| true
|preline /usr/bin/procmail -m .procmailrc
./Maildir/

In this case if spamprotection in plesk is "on" the mailheader gets the additional "X-Spam-Flag" Tag.
So if spamassassing markes the mail as spam, procmail will move it to the specified folder.

Last things:

In the .procmailrc example you find the line "LOGFILE=$HOME/procmail.log". If any mail is processed, procmail will write to the file procmail.log what happend with the mails. But beware, that the logfile can get big, if you have no logfile rotation on the specified file. Therefor if everything works correct, you can comment out or delete this line.

Plesk isn't able to do this for you in the gui at this time, so you have to configure each mailaccount for yourself.

Spamfree greetings

Hey, great!

I should be able to handle it on this level. Can't wait to zap all those no-goodniks!

thank you, manyhauna

Hi Manyhauna,

This is simple great. Can you please suggest some good tool for Server wide SPAM filter, which will block/drop SPAM mails. We are currently using Plesk 8.1.0 with 4PSA SPAM Guardian and Greylisting.

Thanks in advance,
Ankur
[email protected]

Originally posted by diadem.support
Can you please suggest some good tool for Server wide SPAM filter, which will block/drop SPAM mails. We are currently using Plesk 8.1.0 with 4PSA SPAM Guardian and Greylisting.

Doesn't 4PSA Spam Guardian already support putting spam emails in a quarantine folder?

Thanks.

Originally posted by manyhuana
Let's go...

Hi manyhuana,

Do you have a script that will apply the procmail rule for the spam folder to all mailboxes on a Plesk server?

Also, do you have a script that will send daily notifications to the users about their quarantine folder and clean up older messages after a certain amount of time?

If you could share those with us, that would be great.

Thanks.

Back