• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Outlook messages have From/To/Subject blank with SPF checking on

R

Reggie Thomson

With Plesk 9.0.0 and psa-qmail 1.03-fc7.build90081117.17:

If spf checking is switched on, qmail appears to put an extra line after the SPF line in the mail header. This means that the remaining parts of the header appear in the body of the email as the message, and the email appears on Outlook to have come From (blank), going to (blank) with subject (blank).

To solve this, under "Mail Server Settings", ensure the "Switch on SPF spam protection" box is unchecked.

I assume we have to wait for a solution from Qmail or swsoft before I can re-enable spam protection, unless someone can give me an alternative solution.

I doubt spf works anyway on incoming. Have a close look /var/qmail/control

With plesk 8.6 used to be a file called spfbehavior which contained a number corresponding to the level you got turned on.

Why now with Plesk 9.0 it does not exist?

i still have the issue and logentrys in my mail log
Dec 13 13:44:29 eagolit spf filter[17956]: Error code: (2) Could not find a valid SPF record
Dec 13 13:44:29 eagolit spf filter[17956]: Failed to query guess rules: Could not find a valid SPF record near 'a/24 mx/24 p'
Dec 13 13:44:29 eagolit spf filter[17956]: Error code: (2) Could not find a valid SPF record

in /etc/psa/spf/spfguess i have this enry: a/24 mx/24 ptr

any hint whats wrong

Hi Brujo,

Thanks for the link.

Given that SPF is not really a good solution to spam (see http://david.woodhou.se/why-not-spf.html) I think I will just disable it for the moment. I may try again when Plesk 9.0.1 indicates that it has solved these problems.

I currently have a more serious problem of a non-functioning Qmail server, possibly due to an incorrect command in the watchdog - but I'm still investigating.

I switched off the Watchdog for "IMAP/POP3 Server (Courier-IMAP)" and also for "SMTP Server (QMail)".

After a while, I received some emails on my account. I then noticed that I was able to restart the Qmail in "Services Management". When I went to look at the watchdog settings, I see that "SMTP Server (QMail)" is now being checked (i.e. green arrow). However, returning to "Services Management" and Qmail now has a red X.

It appears to be working, though - I've just sent myself a test message. Fingers crossed that it won't crash again.

Something here is decidedly ropey.

Back