1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Parallels H-Sphere 3.6.0

Discussion in 'Plesk Automation' started by Error404, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Error404

Error404 New Pleskian

Hello everyone!

My first post, so feel free to curse me for not posting in the correct area :)

There's no specific part of the forum for H-Sphere, so I did a search for it.
    It seems that majority of posts mentioning it come from Parallels Plesk Automation, so I'm posting here.

So, hoping this is the correct place, here it goes:

I got the task of evaluating Parallels H-Sphere 3.6.0 for my company that, among other stuff, does hosting.
    Our current control panel software is a bit dated now, and we're looking into something new.

Of course, it has to support Windows Server 2012, so the choice is now limited to several products, Parallels H-Sphere being one of them.

My colleagues got tasks to evaluate other ones, and I got H-Sphere.

Looked all nice and easy until I got to installation part :s

I got files from http://www.parallels.com/download/hsphere/360/ and trial license, too.
    Also, I read the guides from http://www.parallels.com/products/hsphere/docs/ , but it doesn't cover my problem (or I'm missing it), so I'm posting here hoping someone experienced the same problem before or knows how to help :)

Out of 4 files to be installed
    I installed H-Sphere Windows HsCore first as it's a requirement for others.

But I couldn't install H-Sphere Windows HsGeneralHosting IIS75 package (HsGeneralHosting_IIS75_x64).
    It required MSFTP component installed, so I installed it, but after re-trying the installation, I get:

I tried reading docs, googling, reading forums... Nothing offered a clue.

I'd gladly check for c:\build\working_dir\managedinstallerbase.cs and see what's written on line 78, but the folder does not exist.

Does anyone have an idea?

2. jjnetworks

jjnetworks New Pleskian

35%
    Hi,

Parallels are slowly moving away from HSphere - yes it is still supported at the moment, but I am not even sure you can purchase new licenses for HSphere instead they will be migrating to PPA. HSphere supports 2008 R2 not 2012 although technically they sorta run the same IIS/FTP etc.

With regards to your error then the HSphere troubleshooter and Knowledgebase at kb.parallels.com is your friend.

We are currently running HSphere 3.6.1 (latest release until 3.7 comes out!) which is the latest only supported version on the 3.6.x branch for new installs.

There is the HSphere owners forum over at forum.psoft.net but I think this is for current owners only.

Hope that sheds some light!

3. Error404

Error404 New Pleskian

Thank you jjnetworks!

Your post actually helped greatly!

I was totally oblivious to the fact HSphere is being phased out. The error is now irrelevant as I will drop HS and look into PPA.
    I sure hope there's a trial available :)

Once again, thanks!
    You've saved me from a lot of trouble :)

4. jjnetworks

jjnetworks New Pleskian

35%
    Hi,

No worries - its in beta/trial at the moment, if you look at the top sticky post there are instructions and guides there.

Regards,

Mark

5. Error404

Error404 New Pleskian

I guess I'll need to do some more researching before jumping on to PPA.

To be honest, when hunting for new Control Panel for our shared hosting, I found this list on Wiki.
    It led me to H-Sphere and Hosting Controller, among others.

But now that HS is no more, or soon will not be, I wanted to look into PPA as per your suggestion.

However, I find Parallels web site to be extremely confusing in regards of product specification and overview...

What I need is basically a control panel software that can manage websites on shared hosting server(s) and
    add/remove them easily when new hosting account needs to be opened up. Plugins/addons are a plus,
    but some kind of billing and reporting integration is a must.

From what I read on Parallels website, Plesk Panel, Helm and Plesk Automation are three things I should really look into.

But there is no comparison of features I could find, nor any kind of comprehensible feature list.
    Mostly it's marketing mumbo-jumbo I don't really care about.

Now I know it's not your job to explain stuff to me, but considering how helpful 'Contact Us' part of Parallels website is, forum is my best bet.

Hopefully someone will post something, even if only in couple of short lines, so I can get started :)

In the meantime, I'll go test Hosting Controller.

Thanks for reading!

6. jjnetworks

jjnetworks New Pleskian

35%
    Hi,

PPA Deployment guide should show you how its defined logically and physically with servers. Its pretty close to HS in terms of roles on boxes e.g. Web, Mail, DNS, Database etc..

http://download1.parallels.com/ppa/11.0/docs/en-US/pdf/ppa_deployment_guide.pdf

In terms of differences it will be using different MTA's (PostFix) as standard compared to Qmail with HSpehre and has alot more MTA's available e.g. SmarterMail but the program isnt really finished yet for us HSphere guys and are waiting for a migration routine to even be finalised.

HTH