• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Password prompt at domain ?

E

emsol

Scenario..

New account created - user uploads their files via ftp

Problem...

Domain has password prompt displaying - entering the user login information allows the domain to be displayed.

Anyone shed any light on why this happened and how to fix and stop from happening again?

This appears to be happening on more than one domain. Maybe I'm being dumb but I've not come across this before and I'd appreciate some help if someone knows why this happens.

many thanks.

have you tried to disable the windows integrated authentication or anything else and leaving only the anonymous access at the IIS Site?

No sites are set up with system access. I wouldnt want to make any changes at all since plesk is supposed to handle all this without the need to do anything.

There has to be something wrong in plesk if this password prompt appears at the domain from a standard installation and new user account.

No sites are set up with system access. I wouldnt want to make any changes at all since plesk is supposed to handle all this without the need to do anything.

There has to be something wrong in plesk if this password prompt appears at the domain from a standard installation and new user account.

Welcome to the world of Plesk where questions are asked but hardly answered the way you want them.

I had this issue as well. Spent like 3 hours on it, its IIS and it has to do with IIS permissions and authentication.

Answer?

Uninstall Plesk do NOT forget to REMOVE the registry key that plesk installs.

Then if and I say IF you can remove that key because that is a permssions issue as well then you can take care of your problem by removing IIS as well and reinstalling IIS with everything clean. Then you must reinstall Plesk and then you will remove that problem.

Maxx

I share your frustration with SW-Soft and their "couldnt care less" approach to support. I'm also offended by the way they try and charge large sums of money for support requests they say are not related to their product when it couldnt be more clear that plesk is the main factor in the problem.

With regards to the password issue - this problem has only happened on a couple of domains for me so I wouldnt remove and reinstall plesk just for that. Thanks for your reply though - we need to help each other on here if SW-Soft arent prepared to do so.

Originally posted by emsol
I share your frustration with SW-Soft and their "couldnt care less" approach to support. I'm also offended by the way they try and charge large sums of money for support requests they say are not related to their product when it couldnt be more clear that plesk is the main factor in the problem.

Guys, I'm sorry that you are disappointed by SWsoft support. Can you email me with the details (emails, ICQ logs, whatever) of your support requests and resolutions offered by our engineers, so we can straighten the situation? "Could not care less" is in no way our real support policy and attitude - I'm sure many people on this forum could confirm that.

I understand however that we hired a lot of new people recently (to IMPROVE support) so these incidents might have happen. Sorry again.

I managed to fix this problem by enabling frontpage authoring and then removing it.

Frontpage Authoring?

I tried to enable and disable Frontpage authoring and I was better off with the password prompt. All I get now is "Service Unavailable". Help!:confused:

Please do try to change the IP adress of the domain from setup menu on Plesk. Might work.

This has happened to me a few times as well...and its not so great. Especially since we are switching customers from one control panel to Plesk saying that it offers more features and security.

So far im not that impressed.

OK after messing with this a little more I decided to try actually removing the domain via the Plesk CP and re-adding it.

This seemed to solve the login box appearing problem.

One thing to note though is that it took two tires to delete the domain when using the Plesk CP, I got an error on my first try.

In all occasios I got it, I've fixed it in a minute by looking at the permissions at the server. Most of the times my own fault by moving things manually on the server, but it has appened plesk cause it too I think. anyway, look at file permissions and give the internet user for the site read/list or if scripting is enabled read/execute permisions

I had the same problem.

The way I corrected this is to look at the permissions on a site that is working and one that is not.

Then repair the one that is not working.

The trick is to check the advanced permissions, the "Plesk Domain User..." account actually looks like it does not have any settings, this is because the settings are custom and only visible on the advanced tab.

use the cacls command to help

Here is sample output
C:\Inetpub\vhosts\site.com\httpdocs BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)F
WEB01\site:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
WEB01\site:(special access:)
READ_CONTROL
SYNCHRONIZE
FILE_GENERIC_READ
FILE_GENERIC_EXECUTE
FILE_READ_DATA
FILE_WRITE_DATA
FILE_APPEND_DATA
FILE_READ_EA
FILE_EXECUTE
FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES

WEB01\IUSR_site:(OI)(IO)(special access:)
READ_CONTROL
SYNCHRONIZE
FILE_GENERIC_READ
FILE_READ_DATA
FILE_READ_EA
FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES

WEB01\IUSR_site:(CI)R
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)F

I'll second the response by emsol,

I opened a trouble ticket on Nov. 6th and didn't hear back anything for a week. When I emailed support to get an update, they sent me the following:

Dear Scott,

Our developers work on this problem. Please wait.

It's been a month to this day now and the issue still hasn't been resolved. They finally sent an email saying that the problem was fixed, but it really isn't.

Scott MacDonald
Regional Internet Media Inc.

I have run into this problem as well (although it has been in several different forums). My best quess after messing with this for several hours is that the uid/pwd for accounts does not get setup correctly. To resolve the issue I have been resetting the password for both the normal user account and the IIS_whateveruser account. This is done through an RDP connection and not the Plesk web interface. Following the password reset, you will need to apply the new password to the application pool identity, then for the directory permissions for the IIS site. If necessary, you may need to restart the application pool for the site as well. Out of a couple hundred domains, this has yet to fail for me.

We just had this problem occur on a 7.5.6 box with all current hotfixes (that I'm aware of anyway)

All of a sudden Web Users content for a particular domain would always prompt for password before access - resolved it by changing the password for the relevant windows IUSR_Accountname and the password set for Anonymous access in IIS Admin to the same value and then restarting that domains hosting in IIS Admin.

This is somewhat inconvenient at best having to change this all manually
- the passwords for these web users were changed within Plesk before and after the problem occurred and it seems the srcipting in the control panel is only changing the password fof the Windows account that handles FTP authentication while the IUSR_aacount and IIS anonymous auth details are left as is.
Not sure what broke it initially but if the scripting did change these other account details like it should then it would be an easy fix for the average user.

Ed

actually, you've encountered the easy ones. the cause of it may also be other reasons, like when permissions get wrong you need to error track and reset permissions for hours..

Yeah the ones I've posted about aren't too difficult but then again I don't post in forums much... and there has been plenty of others..

I notice there is a lot of Plesk bashing in these forums and in some cases it may be warranted but I've seen and had to clean up much worse other control panels over the years... and they didn't even have handly utilities to help with fixing things - there's not much that the reconfigurator, websrvmng and ftpmng etc. can't resolve if you learn how to use them.
On the whole I'd say it's a pretty decent product for the money.

Ed

I want to say only one thing.

I think that to manage shared hosting servers using plesk or another control panel, needs to be done by IIS trained IT pepople.

In our company, we are using plesk for windows since first version (6.5) and, we've only called support one or two times and it was for things that couldn't be repaired as IT people.

(I remember one for the mailenable logging that it wasn't rotating logs, and another like that). Our problems were solved in the next release of plesk :p

The problems like passwords prompt and more are typical IIS errors / misconfiguration problems that a person trained in IIS can resolve in less than 15 minutes. (Like integrated authentication that doesn't work with proxies or IIS password sync that can be solved reaplying the password to the user).

If you don't know how to use IIS or if you know how to do it, you don't want to do it, I'll say that there is no perfect CP, becuase there are more thing in the IIS metabase than some permisions, some syncronized passwords and so. It is a really huge file and is hard to control with some PHP's and some exe's.

I like helping people, but the only thing I want to say is that to manage a server farm, you should be a qualyfied technician (Or you should look to take one). This is not like using your IIS in windows XP. Also think that you shouldn't have more than 100 - 300 domains in one plesk.
Whith more domains, it becomes more hard to manage and every server becomes more important.

The only thing I can say here is that in these years, swsoft has been releasing better products (The new versions always are like beta versions, I know) but plesk everyday is doing more and more things and all tehir products everyday has more features.

Regards.

Arnau Marcé

Back