• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

PHP5 when will it be supported?

J

JackF

hello,

it's been months since it's release, the entire development community has moved forward to using PHP5 and us plesk users are still stuck with php4.

has anybody got any ideas of when it will finally be supported?
has anyone got a work-around for installing it today?

thanks.

Thats really a question for redhat/fedora/suse/etc, Ive had php 5 rpms on my site for 6 months or so. It still breaks a lot of apps

you mean php5 doesn't work on those operating systems?
don't linux developers use those for their php5 programming?
i have seen php5 for fedora though?
it seems bizarre that they wouldn't be available?

you mentioned you had rpms but you're saying they don't work yet?

so currently you would say it's not possible to run the two in tandem?

thanks

My rpms work fine, its just the php apps out there havent really caught up to 5.0.x yet. For example, horde and squirrelmail dont work with it correctly. I've heard of a lot of other applications not working with it correctly as well, but personally I can only attest to the issues with horde and squirrelmail and a custom app on one of my servers not being compatible.

Is there some specific reason to go to php5 instead of just using php4? If so, maybe it would be worth it to just run a test box or something and only those domains that need php5. There's no point in rushing things when it makes things more hassle than its worth. Just let the version in the O/S catch up unless you just need php5.

Heya,

We've had PHP5 CGI RPMs available a few months now:

http://www.serverpeak.com/index.php?page=Software

They run as CGIs, don't conflict with PHP4 RPMs with the only requirements being that you add a shebang (#!) line at the start of callable scripts and their extension is .php5. Ie.

#!/usr/bin/php5/php

Cheers,

Stuart

some of the new php libraries are specifically written in php5

it seems cgi is the way to go then, if you can run it seperately without interfeering with existing php4 apps

thanks for the tip, we'll try that

Back