• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 7.5.3 on Debian Sarge - install but no update

I

i-nox.de

i managed to install plesk on my debian sarge server, but now i can´t get the update manager to work. error:
"You are using debian linux , but autoinstaller was compiled for Debian Linux 3.1"

i would like to know how to update the installation without the update manager, or
how i can fix it?

- Bernhard

What do you get when you execute:

uname -a

it might be a bug in the autoinstaller, but you can use the deb engine to update the packages manually.

uname -a:

Linux 1-nox.de 2.6.11.9-050512a #1 SMP Thu May 12 20:53:02 CEST 2005 i686 GNU/Linux

Just add the APT source to the sources.list and use apt-get to update it.

I ran into the same problem. When you install a clean Debian box you can install Plesk 7.5.3 just fine. I als tried it on a clean Debian box where I ran apt-get upgrade prior to the installation of Plesk. Suddenly the installer doesn't work anymore! It looks like Debian changed it's name from Debian Linux 3.1 to Debian Linux (missing the 3.1), and Plesk gets confused.

Also, when you have Plesk running just fine on Debian, and you apt-get upgrade the system, the autoupdater in Plesk stops functioning with the same error.

Looks to me this is not just a problem with the autoinstaller, but with the way Plesk identifies the OS. If we can somehow restore the original name (back to Debian Linux 3.1) it should be working just fine :)

Any suggestions anone?

*edit*
In addition, the packages that need to be upgraded when I perfom apt-get upgrade are:

adduser
apt apt-utils
aptitude
base-config
base-files
base-passwd
bash
bsdmainutils
bsdutils
console-common
console-data
console-tools
cpio
ron
dash
debconf
debconf-i18n
debianutils
diff
discover1
discover1-data
dpkg
dselect
e2fslibs
e2fsprogs
eject
exim4-base
exim4-config
findutils
gcc-3.3-base
gettext-base
grep
groff-base
grub
gzip
hotplug
ifupdown
initrd-tools
initscripts
iptables
iso-codes
klogd
libattr1
libblkid1
libcomerr2
libconsole
libdb3
libdb4.2
libdiscover1
libgcc1
libgcrypt11
libgnutls11
liblocale-gettext-perl
liblzo1
libnewt0.51
libpcre3
libsigc++-1.2-5c102
libss2 libssl0.9.7
libstdc++5 libtasn1-2 libtext-charwidth-perl
libtext-iconv-perl
libtext-wrapi18n-perl
libuuid1
libwrap0
localization-config
login
logrotate
mailx
makedev
man-db
manpages
modutils
mount
nano
net-tools
netbase
netkit-inetd
nvi
passwd
ppp
pppconfig
pppoeconf
procps
psmisc
sed
sysklogd
sysv-rc
sysvinit
tar
tasksel
tcpd
telnet
usbutils
util-linux
wget
whiptail
zlib1g

After you update/upgrade, check the contents of your:

/etc/debian_version

file and reset it to reflect the 3.1version

Thanks, that did the trick! After you upgrade the contents of the file change from 3.1 to testing/unstable. When you reset that, it's all good.

Thanks again!

Back