• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 7.5.4 on CentOS 4.x does it work ?

B

BoXie

Hi,

I am considering to install Plesk 7.5.4 on CentOS 4.2

I just need a quick reponse (and it will help others doing a 'search' on this) :

- Does it work flawlessly ?
- Can i still upgrade with yum (even when i have changed /etc/redhat-release) ?
- Can i change back to the original CentOS' /etc/redhat-release after Plesk install ?
- What needs to be in the /etc/redhat-release

Please .. some input from the ones that are really running this config.

Thanx

I tried installing on CentOS 4.1 over the weekend using the autoinstaller script but it didn't go seemlessly. I tried using yum but had problems with that too.

I was trying to install the CentOS 3 version though. Thinking about it in the cool light of day I should have tried the Red Hat Enterprise 4 installer. Looking on Atomic Turtle's site, he's so confident that CentOS4 and RHEL4 are compaitble that the one directory in his repository is simply symlinked for the other. He knows more about all of this than us mere mortals ;)

I didn't know that CentOS 4.2 had been released. I'm downloading the ISOs at the moment and I'll try it tonight..

Garan.

I have installed Plesk 7.5.4 successfully on 4 boxes with CentOS4.1 with no problem. Make sure that redhat-release reads:

RedHat Enterprise Linux EL4 (Nahant)

No need to change it back, just leave it. Then on your yum.conf file be sure that the line reads:

distroverpkg=redhat-release

instead of the reference to centos.

edit-------------------------
Also - in /etc/yum.conf, change all references of "$releasever" to "4ES"
/edit------------------------

Can you explain that last step ?

It would sound more reasonable i think to roll-back to the original '/etc/redhat-release' file after Plesk install/upgrade.

That way yum won't break.

And since there is no 'redhat-release' package on CentOS .. why changing the distroverpkg variable in yum.conf to 'redhat-release'?

Just ran the RHEL4 auto installer on CentOS 4.1.

I had to change the /etc/redhat-release file from "CentOS release 4.1 (Final)" to "RedHat Enterprise Linux 4" so that the installer would work.

The installer completed with no errors. Just ran a ps -ef and all seems well. I'll reply again if I hit any issues...

Garan.

@phoenixisp

Ok thanx,

But i would like to install Plesk 7.5.4 on CentOS 4.2 without ART's stuff. Just by using the official Plesk EL4 binaries and CentOS out-of-the-box.

Anyone tried it that way ? Without ART's channels etc ..

Originally posted by garan
Just ran the RHEL4 auto installer on CentOS 4.1.

I had to change the /etc/redhat-release file from "CentOS release 4.1 (Final)" to "RedHat Enterprise Linux 4" so that the installer would work.

The installer completed with no errors. Just ran a ps -ef and all seems well. I'll reply again if I hit any issues...

Garan.

Ok try to 'yum update' to CentOS 4.2 and tell us if you have kept the modified /etc/redhat-release or restored the original.

Do both work on yum ? I haven't figured out yet whether it's necessary / possible to restore the original /etc/redhat-release after the Plesk install.

You can sure do it without ART's stuff. But you have to be careful about what you update, for instance php to php5. The beauty of ART's packages are that they are built to work with Plesk and not break it.

I've updated my yum.conf with ART's entries. I was getting the following when I ran yum update:

Error: Missing Dependency: pam >= 0.77-66.8 is needed by package util-linux
Error: Missing Dependency: libaudit.so.0 is needed by package util-linux
Error: spamassassin conflicts with psa-spamassassin

I've put the /etc/redhat-release back to the CentOS 4.1 (Final) setting and re-run the yum -y update. I still get the error messages above.

Any clues?

Maybe remove ART's entries from yum.conf since you've not used ART's stuff to install it all ?

And then try again.

Originally posted by phoenixisp
You can sure do it without ART's stuff. But you have to be careful about what you update, for instance php to php5. The beauty of ART's packages are that they are built to work with Plesk and not break it.

Hm i don't understand that. Since Plesk supports RHEL 4 it shouldn't be a problem to install and run Plesk on Centos 4.x with PHP 4 and MySQL 4 and WITHOUT Art's stuff ? Or am i wrong ?

Else RHEL 4 users would be in trouble also i guess.

Originally posted by BoXie
Maybe remove ART's entries from yum.conf since you've not used ART's stuff to install it all ?

And then try again.

Seems to be working fine. I'm going to see how the yum -y update goes with 4.1. I'll try the 4.2 upgrade but I think I'm going to end up doing a vanilla 4.2 install, add PSA only (i.e. no ART) and run with that in production...

At the end of the day a fresh install has got to beat an upgrade when you need to depend on it.

Maybe a fresh install is better when you have the possibility to do one.

But then again .. it isn't Windows ;)

But to sum it up:

You have installed Plesk 7.5.4 (official SW-Soft release) on CentOS 4.x with no problems ? And only edited the /etc/redhat-release file ? And restored the original 'redhat-release' file or not ? And yum still works ?

Maybe you can write some summary of your procedure and results .. would help / inform me and probably a lot of other people later on.

The CentOS point releases (4.1, 4.2, etc) are just the normal CentOS4 release with updated packages, and a few minor additions (like yum). So if you're running CentOS 4.0, and update it, you are effectively running CentOS 4.2. The only exception is that CentOS has built distro's in 4.2 for other architectures, like the DEC Alpha.

My RHEL4 packages are really built on CentOS4, and as noted the PSA release is really pointing to RHEL4.

Ok ART,

But do you agree that, since SW-Soft is supporting RHEL 4, Plesk's official 7.5.4 release should work on a standard CentOS 4.x distro without any troubles ?

With the only modification being the /etc/redhat-release file?

Great .. that's all i need ;)

This post could be a lot smaller hehe.

By the way .. what's the best practise you think : restore the original /etc/redhat-release after each Plesk update / install ? Or doesn't it matter for yum at all ?

Just for info, I've successfully installed Plesk 7.5 on a Centos 4.2 box, the only change being the redhat-release file as detailed above.

Garan

Back