1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Plesk 8.4 - what's new?

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by Hal9000, May 3, 2008.

1. Hal9000

Hal9000 Guest

Just saw there is Plesk 8.4 in the updater. However I can't find any release notes.
    What is new in this version? I guess nothing...

2. Bertille

Bertille Guest

What's new in Plesk 8.4.0 (based on the What's New inside Plesk) :

- Simplified installation of site applications. All site applications are sorted by categories, which makes it easier to choose the right application to install.

- DomainKeys support. Now you can use DomainKeys e-mail sender authentication mechanism to reduce the amount of spam and phishing e-mails that are sent to your customers. For more information, refer to the chapter Setting Up Spam Protection.

- Updated components used with Plesk Control Panel. The latest versions of the following software can be used with Plesk Control Panel: Acronis True Image Server 9.5, Parallels Plesk Sitebuilder 4.2, Horde 3.1.7, SPAW 2.0 (editing software used in Plesk File Manager), Adobe ColdFusion 8.

- 4PSA VoipNow software support. The VoIP solution developed by 4PSA is now fully supported by Plesk Control Panel. For information about 4PSA VoipNow, refer to http://www.4psa.com/index.php?pcat=p...ag=4psavoipnow

And 2 others things :

- You can choose to have database name with the customer name.
    - You can "protect" the DNS

3. S.Celik

S.Celik Guest

And "much more", "bigger" parallels & virtuozzo ads everywhere on plesk panel :)

Attached Files:

4. fpak0055

fpak0055 Guest

5. sergius

sergius Golden Pleskian

57%
    [+] Web application categories - All web applications are now sorted by categories, which makes it easier to choose the right application to install.
    [+] Application Packaging Standard (APS) CGI support - Complete support of APS CGI applications.
    [+] DomainKeys support - You can use DomainKeys e-mail sender authentication system to reduce the amount of spam and phishing e-mails that are sent to your customers.
    [+] Database users prefix - To make managing database users easier, new database users can be created with corresponding client username added to database user name as a prefix.
    [+] Forbidding creation of domains in foreign DNS zones - Plesk now has an option to allow or forbid users to create new subdomains and domain aliases in the DNS zones belonging to other users.
    [+] Component updates - Updates for multiple built-in third-party components, including:
    Horde 3.1.7 and its components
    ProFTPD 1.3.1
    SPAW 2.0
    [+] 4PSA VoipNow integration - Plesk 8.4 provides integration with 4PSA VoipNow
    [+] openSuSE 10.3 support - Plesk 8.4 can be installed on openSuSE 10.3
    [+] Fedora 8 support - Plesk 8.4 can be installed on Fedora 8
    [+] Maximum number of recipients restriction in Qmail - Server administrator can limit maximum number of mail recipients to prevent users from sending mass e-mail.
    [+] Adobe Coldfusion 8 support - Plesk now supports Adobe Coldfusion 8
    [+] New Plesk Control Panel events - New API events generated upon domain and client template creation, update or removal are available.
    [-] Numerous bugs were resolved.

6. CSN-Carl

CSN-Carl Regular Pleskian

57%
    Sergius do you have more details on the "numerous bug fixes"?

Thanks

7. wsani

wsani Silver Pleskian

40%
    How about a world of hurt?

8. Bertille

Bertille Guest

Where can we find this setting ?

Thanks.

9. joeybutterface

joeybutterface Guest

Ironic that we can now check for "DomainKeys" on incoming email, but we cannot conform to the DomainKeys specification ourselves with the outgoing email sent from the server.

Will they ever implement this?

10. breun

breun Golden Pleskian

I believe I read this is possible also yesterday.

11. breun

breun Golden Pleskian

'Setting Up Spam Protection Based on DomainKeys' says:

So it is possible to use DomainKeys on outgoing mail.

12. joeybutterface

joeybutterface Guest

Yeah it's great to see they have finally properly implemented the DomainKeys specification. Very easy to setup too. I can confirm it works.

A good surprise since it wasn't expected until Plesk 9.

Well done Parallels!

13. ideasmultiples

ideasmultiples Basic Pleskian

73%
    Upgrade and install Plesk options & modules disappears in autoinstaller and Plesk panel after upgrade or install 4.0

14. websitesource

websitesource New Pleskian

23%
    I'm having this same problem with 8.4.0 not being listed in the updater now. In fact, if I go to the updater in the control panel it says "No releases available" and doesn't list anything there. I just checked the update site http://autoinstall.plesk.com/ and it looks to me like there aren't even 8.4.0 packages there. Did the update site change with the new release maybe? Maybe they haven't synced up all the repositories yet or something. Anyone know what URL the older releases were using for update information?

Kelly Shutt

15. ideasmultiples

ideasmultiples Basic Pleskian

73%
  16. Amin Taheri

Amin Taheri Golden Pleskian Plesk Certified Professional

For this item it will by default truncate the clients username to 5 characters. I found no where in the UI to modify this setting, but you can change it directly in PSA database.

Code:
    mysql -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` psa -e "insert into misc  values('db_user_length',10)"

EDIT - it also looks like it has been pulled, its no longer appearing in the GUI updater.

17. Total

Total Guest

NO 8.4 in my updater , only 8.3 ?? maybe will have to wait for the upgrade to show up ..

18. Amin Taheri

Amin Taheri Golden Pleskian Plesk Certified Professional

yeah looks like it has been pulled, most likely becuase of all the people suddenly having "problems" after the upgrade - if it even completes.

Given the SwSoft mantra of updates and releases, I would never upgrade a production machine the first two weeks after a release, it will most likely kill your machine, and your customers will get pissed.

19. sergius

sergius Golden Pleskian

57%
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

We need to block access to 8.4 Autoinstaller for couple of days.
    During this time, those who has managed to upgrade the product will not be able to get other updates.
    Please check the official announcements on the Parallels site.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

20. danliker

danliker Silver Pleskian Plesk Certified Professional

43%
    can you tell us why ?