• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk and Application Service Provider solutions

C

chuck.boyer

Does anyone out there use Plesk for supporting an Application Service Provider solution? I am trying to figure out how to get Plesk to point to the same physical files on disk while allowing each client to have their own domain name. Can I set that up in the domain templates? Any other suggestions out there?

Thanks
Chuck

You want one set of code files to be shared between many client domains?

- Set up a domain to contain the library code. This makes it easy to upload new versions via FTP.
- Install the library code in a directory structure that includes the application name then version number. e.g. /library/app/v000. This allows new versions to be added without disturbing domains that are still using old versions.
- Set up client domains with a virtual folder that points at the library folder. e.g. /library. You have to setup the virtual folder in the IIS MMC because Plesk doesn't do it.
- Run the app from the client domain e.g. http://www.client.com/library/app/v000/default.asp
- You can even have local ASP code that includes library ASP code e.g. <!-- #INCLUDE VIRTUAL="/client.com_non_ssl/library/app/v000/inc/functions.asp" -->

When the client looks for the /library folder they will not find it because it is virtual. They cannot see the ASP source code because whenever they invoke it, it is executed.

Hope this is what you meant.

Cheers, Julian

Thanks Julian! Let me make sure I understand you on a couple of your points....

- Set up a domain to contain the library code. This makes it easy to upload new versions via FTP.

I need to set up the domain in Plesk then upload the source code to that domain. That would put the files in mydomain.com_non_ssl/library.

- Set up client domains with a virtual folder that points at the library folder. e.g. /library. You have to setup the virtual folder in the IIS MMC because Plesk doesn't do it.

If I set up the client domains in IIS how do I manage those domains withing Plesk for quotas and such?

If i set up the client domain in Plesk, where in plesk do I modify the "home directory" of the domain?

If I'm understanding you correctly, after I create the client domain, I create a folder in the Plesk interface and point it to the physical location on disk (mydomain.com_non_ssl/library).

Do you know of anyway to point the root of the client domain to the source directory so that all they will need to do is go to www.mydomain.com and it launches the application without having to go into the library sub directory (www.mydomain.com/library)?

Thanks for your input.
Chuck

Hi Chuck

I'll repeat these instructions complete with a little more detail to avoid misunderstanding.

This method allows you to have a client domain that has BOTH customer specific files AND shared files.

- Set up a master domain in Plesk to contain the library code. This makes it easier to upload new versions via FTP than if you put the code c:\library.
- Install the library code in a directory structure that includes the application name then version number. e.g. /library/app/v000. This allows new versions to be added without disturbing domains that are still using old versions.
- Set up client domains in Plesk as usual
- Log in locally or use Terminal Services (or similar) to start the IIS MMC. Find the client domain and create a virtual folder that points at the master domain's library folder. e.g. /library. Unfortunately this step cannot be done in Plesk.
- Run the app from the client domain e.g. http://www.client.com/library/app/v000/default.asp
- You can even have local ASP code that includes library ASP code e.g. <!-- #INCLUDE VIRTUAL="/client.com_non_ssl/library/app/v000/inc/functions.asp" -->

This method makes a client domain that is identical to a master domain, but retains the client domain name in the browser address. This is also known as an 'Alias'. This feature is standard in the new Plesk 7.

- Set up a master domain in Plesk.
- Set up client domains in Plesk as usual
- Log in locally or use Terminal Services (or similar) to start the IIS MMC. Find the client domain and change its home folder to point at the master's home.

Cheers, Julian
www.inCharge.co.uk

Thanks Julian! I suspected that I needed to repoint the home directory in IIS separate from Plesk just as you said, but wanted to be clear.

I am impatiently waiting for Plesk 7 so that we can launch with that instead of 6.5. :)

Thanks again for the help.
Chuck

Back