• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk and Linux Noob Question

S

Sekka

Hi,

I am not well versed in the world of Linux, Plesk, and servers in general, so please bear with me.

We currently have a dedicated server with PHP 4, MySQL 3, and Plesk 8.0 (upgraded from 7.5) running on Linux and Cent OS (I think).

I want to upgrade our server so it is running PHP 5 and MySQL 5. Our hosting company told us this wasn't possible because our Plesk needs the current version of PHP.

They told me if they do upgrade, they will need to wipe the server clean, start from scratch, and the only way I would be able to update the server settings is through the console.

Now, all I want to know is if our hosting company is taking us for a ride. Can you run Plesk on PHP 5 and MySQL 5? More accurately, will the server "break" if PHP and MySQL are upgraded?

Thanks.

I've found stuff in the knowledge base, etc, confirming you can do this too.

Apparently their main concern was MySQL 5.

I then told them to do PHP only and they said they couldn't. I sent them the link from the KB and now they are "getting back to me".

I hate it when companies try and fob you off because they assume you won't know any better.

Back