• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk for Debian

PSi_101

Regular Pleskian
Could someone from SWsoft please give us an honest answer as to the nature of the delay regarding the Debian release of Plesk please. It has been outstanding for months now with no news of any sorts as to what's happening with it.
Are you:
Waiting for Sarge to be officially released?
Finding Debian too hard to work with?
Getting more requests for other OS or distro support?

Please....all I ask is that you give us an honest answer. Your credibility regarding release dates has already been marred by these delays and leaving us in the dark as to what's happening.
Now the reason i'm posting in here instead of writing directly is because I know i'm not the only one waiting for the Debian release. So i'd like everyone who is waiting to see the response too.

Standard configuration of Debian 3.1 (coming out in February)

In case you haven't been following the Debian release's progress, it was initially September last year, then pushed to November, then December, then January, and now February. Like I said, as far as I go, SW-Soft's credibility regarding release dates have been shot. It's not as if this is a game release we're talking about, people are basing their business decisions on a certain product being available at a certain time and if that blows out, it blows everything out too! If SW-Soft could be honest about the release date instead of leaving us hanging in the air, it would be beneficial for all parties!
I realise that i've done little to disguise my frustration at SWSoft but thats just how i'm feeling.

And now.. March.. quote: "Standard configuration of Debian 3.1 (coming out in March)" :) lol

P.S. I followed all releases progresses.

I am burning candles in my local church and pray to god that they have Plesk ready for Debian soon.

Amen

Do you guys think I should wait on Sw Soft to come with PLESK for Debian or better I'll buy CONFIXX?

Plesk for Debian is available in Plesk 7.5.3 release. In May you will have it.

Thank you for this wonderful news.

Only problem for me is, I just quit my job, I am gowing to work at another organisation and they don't do hosting.

But I'm glad with this news, and I think that a lot of people are.

Will be interesting to see if debian release is maintained well.

That is fantastic news hardweb! Although not to be too much of a pessimist, i'll believe it when i see it :D
Anyways, we've chosen to deploy Plesk on CentOS while waiting for the Debian port to be available. Hopefully it won't take too much effort to move all my data across to the Debian install.

Debian is a little bit more different than Redhat, Suse, Mandrake. If you are familiar with it, than it's ok. Otherwise it's not a good idea to install Plesk on it just because people say that it's goood.

That is absolutely true hardweb. Although IMHO it's no different to any other linux distro which all have their minor differences. I'm quite well versed with Debian, RHEL, Slackware, and CentOS and they're all pretty much the same with the exception of a files in different places, and variations of packages available. I do realise though that variations with libraries might be a pain.
While Debian isn't as 'friendly', i've got very strict requirements and Debian satisfies them the most. One of the most important being that Debian can be upgraded (major revision) remotely without having to visit the data center, and it works remarkably well.

If you are familiar with it, than it's ok. Otherwise it's not a good idea to install Plesk on it just because people say that it's goood.

Doing something just because people say iti is good is something you shouldn't do that quick. Something that is good for them, might not be good for you and/or your situation.

Most people atm use Plesk on Fedora/Redhat. If you are a Linux starter and have a lot of questions. Then I think installing Plesk on Fedora is the best option, because most of your questions will be already be answered in the forums.

For those that know Debian, and know the comunity behind it, they know that people working on this project are very enthousiastic, most of them put a lot of effort in this project during their free-time.

And because I have been around too many people involved in Debian, I love to use it on as many as servers as possible. To show them their hard work is apreciated.

But mainly because it's an overal good distro. With a huge amount of documentation available. Hope some of you give it a try something.

You can download the Debian Sarge Installer here:

http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ (choose the netinst CD image for i386 if you are not sure what to download)

I have a server ready with sarge and i just wait the debian release :)

For those that give a hoot, here are my reasons for choosing Debian as my enterprise distro of choice in no particular order.
* Volunteer effort, organization has no bottom line to worry about and no shareholders to please
* Long release cycles
* Dependency handling
* No cutting edge software, extremely stable and compatible
* There is no one single entity looking after the distro, no company to go bust
* One command updating, easy to update a farm of Linux servers
* Great community support, debianhelp.org, debian irc channel
* Only ever need to install Debian once, upgrades and updates via apt, meaning updating for example from version 3.0 to version 4.0 can be done remotely without visiting the datacenter. This is very important as datacenter visits cost money.

Be careful what you wish for....

I too have been waiting for months to get plesk on Debian.

They finally release it....for an unstable version of Debian?!!!!

I tried to use their autoinstaller and it failed squacking about unstable packages!

I think Plesk has seen my last dollar. I'm looking elsewhere.

Back