• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk for Fedora 8 - when?????

Silver Pleskian
Support,

Okay Fedora 9 is released 29 April 2008, meaning support for F7 is cut off 29 May 2008, so when can we expect to see a Plesk that works for F8?

Why is it you push the envelope right to the end? Surely you have had more than enough time to get it working on Fedora 8 by now????? Means that we have more time to decide when to upgrade not a last minute desperation effort.

This is exactly why we use CentOS instead of Fedora for production servers: seven years of OS updates (where Fedora has ~1 year).

Fedora Core 8 support should be implemented since 8.4 (end of April)

tany,

Excellent news thanks!!

Breun,

Its personal choice. I like fedora as out of the box I have got the latest packages like httpd, php and they are well well maintained. Also cleaning my server every 6 months or more is good I like a fresh start and clean up the old stuff. Takes me about 1 hour to redo the server including load the backups.

Also its principle. Parallels offer plesk for Fedora, which means it should be a current version of Fedora supported, else don't offer it.

Also I have a good repore with Redhat and that many times I get fantastic outstanding support from redhat to fix update packages. You will not get that support out of centros (with the delay in packages), only with Redhat Enterprise you get fast.

But Fedora since its a test platform for Redhat they are keen to serve you and fix packages / bugs. Its unusual to have a bug open more than 24 hours. I have had special packages built in that time to test and then its pushed upstream.

Personal preference is fine, but I think you do need to realize that Fedora lifecycle is fast (almost two major releases per year). Maybe too fast for something like Plesk. We have had not so good experiences with with Fedora's bleeding edge versions, so I definitely recommend not going with Fedora unless you're willing to reload your OS every six months (which apparently you are, but most people are not).

Personal Preferance

I know that everyone here on this post like Fedora Core but you reall should use the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 version with YUM. It is really smooth. I could say that I am biased because I use it but I switched from Microsoft 2003 Server to Red Hat Enterprise Linux and could not have been happier. And to answer your questions yes I did look at other cores before I went with RHEL.

Chris
https://www.64bithost.com

Back