• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk, MX records, Exchange Server, No mailboxes

JointTech

New Pleskian
I have clients (like myself) that use an Exchange server inhouse. So I have an MX record pointing to an A record that points to my office server. (this is in the Plesk DNS for the domain)

So I have no mailboxes in Plesk for any domain that uses Exchange.

However If I send a message through plesk server From a domain on Plesk to a domain on Plesk (but with no mailboxes) Plesk says hey there are no mailboxes at that domain.

I have a lot of clients that use my plesk server as an SMTP server. (with authentication) So anytime a client that uses plesk server to send emails sends one to me it gets bounced because plesk doesnt check the actual MX record it just looks at the domain. If I setup mailboxes on my domain and try to send. It will go through but the mail will go to the mail box at plesk and not back to my exchange server.

So then I have to setup a POP connector in Exchange to get all the mail from my clients. Is there a way to tell Plesk to check the actual MX record before presuming that it controls mail for any domain that it hosts.

I have the same situation.

I suspect that for some reason the DNS settings in Plesk are not being activated. When I dig the domain in question on the server, DNS records that do not match the ones in Plesk come up.

DC

Actually, if you just go into the mail area in the domain click the button to disable mail. then Plesk will use the MX record and everything is fine.

Tried that first, it doesn't work.

I had just migrated from a 7.5.4 server to 8.1. During the migration plesk activated e-mail for all the domains that I had deactivated it for (thanks Plesk again for you migration manager nightmare). I went in and manually disabled it for all domains that used external mail services. Still no luck.

Any other ideas?

I think it has to do with DNS, which is coming up wrong when I >dig mx domain.com.

DC

For example:

<[email protected]>:
Sorry. Although I'm listed as a best-preference MX or A for that host, it isn't in my control/locals file, so I don't treat it as local. (#5.4.6)

> dig mx domain.com

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;domain.com. IN MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
domain.com. 80946 IN MX 10 mail.domain.com.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
domain.com. 80946 IN NS ns.domain.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
mail.domain.com. 80946 IN A 15.15.15.15
ns.domain.com. 82631 IN A 15.15.15.15

Plesk:

15.15.15.15 / 24 PTR domain.com.
ftp.domain.com. CNAME domain.com.
owa.domain.com. A 25.15.15.15
domain.com. NS dns.server1.com.
domain.com. NS dns.server2.com.
domain.com. A 15.15.15.15
domain.com. MX (10) smtp1.msp.securence.com.
domain.com. MX (10) smtp1.mke.securence.com.
www.domain.com. CNAME domain.com.

???

Hmm. Well I don't know anything about that unfortunately. I was having the problem only until I turned off mail for the domains with Exchange servers.

> domain.com. 80946 IN MX 10 mail.domain.com.
> domain.com. 80946 IN NS ns.domain.com.
>
> Plesk:
>domain.com. NS dns.server1.com.
>domain.com. NS dns.server2.com.
>domain.com. MX (10) smtp1.msp.securence.com.
> domain.com. MX (10) smtp1.mke.securence.com.

what is in your /etc/resolv.conf? check what domain's MX/NS are shown with

# host -tmx domain.com 127.0.0.1
and
# host -tmx domain.com

for me it seems that your box uses some external name server instead of local..

Back