1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Plesk Name Server crashes exactly 1 hour after rebooting - CRITICAL PROBLEM - HELP!

Discussion in 'Plesk for Windows - 8.x and Older' started by wesmanbigmig, May 22, 2006.

1. wesmanbigmig

wesmanbigmig Guest

Running Plesk 7.5.6 with all updates applied on a Windows Server 2003 box. 3 days ago I started noticing that Plesk NAme Server was crashing. I have now found that it is stopping when named.exe crashes. Looking at the Application Event Viewer, I see that this is exactly one hour after named.exe starts when the server reboots.

When the Plesk Name Server is down, all of my websites, ftp and email go down too, so this problem is VERY URGENT.

I am unable to restart the Plesk Name Server by any method other than another reboot. So this means that I have to reboot every hour. Obviously this is not very good.

The Application Event Viewer shows the following fault for named.exe

Faulting application named.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module libdns.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x000549e5.

At exactly the same time, the System Event Viewer shows this error for Service Control Manager :

The Plesk Name Server service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

Any help would be tremendously appreciated. I have been struggling with this all day, along with 2 work colleagues.

2. sergius

sergius Golden Pleskian

57%
    You should switch to MS DSN... or wait Plesk 7.6 for Windows and try to switch to Simple DNS

3. sergius

sergius Golden Pleskian

57%
    sorry, not MS DSN, should DNS of course

4. wesmanbigmig

wesmanbigmig Guest

Thanks sshigin - but 2 questions:

how do I switch to MS DNS?

and how do I know that this won't happen in MS DNS too?

Thanks

Wes

5. sergius

sergius Golden Pleskian

57%
    1. Install MS DNS
    2. Choose MS DNS on Plesk > Components Management > DNS Server

You will know this in an hour after switching

6. wesmanbigmig

wesmanbigmig Guest

Thanks sshigin

But where do I download MS DNS from? and does it automatically import the DNS settings from Plesk / BIND?

Thanks

7. sergius

sergius Golden Pleskian

57%
    Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Components > Networking Services > Details... > Domain Name System (DNS)
    of course

8. wesmanbigmig

wesmanbigmig Guest

Thanks sshigin!!

- Does MS DNS work as well as BIND?
    - Is there anything that could go wrong if I installed MS DNS?
    - Do I have to disable the Plesk Name Server service if I install MS DNS?
    Do you have experience with running MS DNS under Plesk on a Windows 2003 server?

Thank you for your help - I appreciate it a lot!

9. sergius

sergius Golden Pleskian

57%
    - Yes
    - No
    - Not necessarily
    I have information from SWsoft support about it

10. wesmanbigmig

wesmanbigmig Guest

Thank you - would you be able to post the information you have from SWSoft support here please - that would be great.

Thank you