• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk Reloaded for BSD

I don't belive this should have been posted in the Announcement board.

In responce to your question.. It would be better if you contact SW Soft's sales deparment to get an answer.

Forum Admin > You should fix the permissions to prevent users from starting threads in the announcement board.

Standard configuration of FreeBSDR 4.9 or 5.2.1 (coming out in January)

plesk and fbsd 5.3

its a pity the dell poweredge servers with SATA RAID arent supported in fbsd 5.2.1 :) controller is supported with the aac driver, first available with 5.3. gotta love the fact sw-soft continues choosing to lose business by not keeping up with os support :)

next example of not being able to keep up with distro support - "The Fedora Steering Committee proposes to transfer Fedora Core 2 to the Fedora Legacy Project at the point Fedora Core 4 Test 2 is released. This is currently scheduled for March 21, 2005."

SUPPORT FC3 ALREADY *(&@#$(@#*&$

I do have one theory though, regarding supporting the distros without having to rewrite everything everytime a distro changes....for example, with fedora, stop hardlinking against a particular version of rpm's libraries...call rpm -q, simple! if you ask me, plesk is making it hard for people to play with things when they need to, defeating the purpose of writing software for an open source os if you ask me :)

Originally posted by nathan
next example of not being able to keep up with distro support - "The Fedora Steering Committee proposes to transfer Fedora Core 2 to the Fedora Legacy Project at the point Fedora Core 4 Test 2 is released. This is currently scheduled for March 21, 2005."

SUPPORT FC3 ALREADY *(&@#$(@#*&$

Why would you use FC for a production server anyway? Its stable shelf life is only what, 6 months till they start testing the next release? Meanwhile, I am still running ES3 that's up to date and fully supported. I don't see what else you would do on the server that requires something as bleeding edge as FC. I'd rather they focus on a stable OS as opposed to just whats trendy.

well the fact that you have to pay outrageous figures for ES makes it kinda not worth it. linux and bsd are open source operating systems, for a reason, to promote development and allow everyone free access. you dont get those freedoms with ES, nor do you get the freedom to play with a lot of the newer versions of software with new functionality.

I am not debating the politics of OSS. Having freedom to develop has nothing to do with it. There is nothing to "develop" on a production hosting server (as that is what I am referring to), its supposed to be a stable controlled platform. One that, like all commercial distros that you pay for, gets proper updates automatically when they are released, and updates that are proven to be stable with the OS, hence the term Enterprise. You pay for the support, not the OS. I can still compile and install whatever I want on it, but thats not the role the server is meant for. Bleeding edge distros I can play with on my laptop when I don't have to worry about how it will affect customers who are paying for reliability. I haven't had to reload any of my ES servers in over 2 years now, thats more than paid for itself.

:rolleyes:

I think it depends on how you use the system. For those folks with multiple servers, trying to optimize the business, you definitely want to keep your overhead down with systems that dont require a lot of overhead to maintain. 3ES (plus the clones, Tao, Cent, WB)and RH9 are good examples of well supported low maintenance OS's. The Fedoras are more on cutting edge of technology, but with the added bonus of an upgrade path and good package mangement. Which makes more sense to use if you need access to the latest features.

From a package developers perspective, rh9/3es/fc1-3 are so similar to each other its not a lot of work to get packages built for all 5 OS's in one shot. Its when you try to go from something like RH9 to SuSE or freebsd that it becomes a mountain of work.

thankyou, that sounds exactly right, unless theres some major system changes in a distro, shouldnt be hard to push out updated packages for most of those releases for redhat-based distros as an example. thats why i still wonder, why they havent supported fc3 already? :).

btw sieb, personally i dont trust commercial update support, by the time the updates come out its too late hehe. im quite sure your box would be exploitable in some way, running ES or FC really. so yea, personally id rather just run the updates for FC, eg. kernel is up to date, php is up to date, for most of the known exploits now.

there are some architectural changes (really good ones!) in fc3 that would be complicating this version. The big one is SELinux, which is available by default, however I suspect that they're just going to tell people to turn that off. The other one I noticed is the implementation of apache breaks some components out (suexec and apr notably) in a way that will require more intelligence in the way the installer and packaging is put together.

The other thing to keep in mind is that product development is being driven by the large customers, which are companies like 1&1, rackspace, interland etc. If they arent running an OS then companies like sw-soft really arent feeling any heat to expand past that. Thats why you see things like rh9 and 3es always getting the most support, while debian, mandrake, suse, and freebsd are always the latecomers.

mmm yea your right there, their following what the big customers want i guess. oh well, only a matter of time before i get to work on my own cp :) i think i kinda need to really, gives me the freedom to do what i want with it when i want then.

still waiting?

Have swsoft released a day when they will release 7.5 reloaded for freebsd (5.3)? Or noone still know?

-iCER

on the subject of open source CP's, Ive been talking to the developer of this one on and off: http://www.ravencore.com

If you want to get involved Im sure he'd appreciate the help. I cant speak for anyone else doing open source development, but it always makes my day when someone sends me a patch or other modifications to what I've put together.

FreeBSD is coming!

Site says end of Dec. 2004. Any updates?

Have swsoft released a day when they will release 7.5 reloaded for freebsd (5.3)? Or noone still know?

-iCER

We are working now on testing the FreeBSD version and Debian will be in testing today. We appreciate your patience and if all goes well we should have these releases for you soon.

already out!

Plesk is already got 7 RELOADED out for fbsd 5.2.1. So they just need 7.5 RELOADED for 5.3. I know you say 'soon' webadmin, but when is soon? Should i just put 7 reloaded on my machine and then update when 7.5 RELADED is out? Or wont there be an upgrade source.

i would wait and do a fresh install of 7.5
im sure it wont be too long before its released
maybe a week.

Re: already out!

Originally posted by iCER
Plesk is already got 7 RELOADED out for fbsd 5.2.1. So they just need 7.5 RELOADED for 5.3. I know you say 'soon' webadmin, but when is soon? Should i just put 7 reloaded on my machine and then update when 7.5 RELADED is out? Or wont there be an upgrade source.

Hummm I must be blind... I cant find @ site...

Back