• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

PLESK v8.0 for RH9

CCHickman

Regular Pleskian
Where my upgrade at, yo?

Has SW-Soft made any mention to supporting RH 7.3 or RH 9.0?

My FC2 box is nicely upgraded. but my RH 9.0 box is out in the cold with a tear in its eye.

There won't be any support for Plesk 8 on RH9 I'm afraid.

RH9 has effectively fallen off the bottom of the upgrade list (EOLed).

Faris.

Support for RH9 was dropped by SWsoft on 31 dec 2005.

Well that sucks =). I can understand the reason, however, I do not know of any easy way to upgrade my RH9 server to FC4...

Frankly, the idea frightens me - and I'd love to have PLESK 8 on my main server.

Has anyone here had experience (positive) upgrading RH9 to FC4?

I had to go through this once before. I was on RedHat 7.1, and that got dropped. So went to RH9 which was the very latest available at the time. Now it is time again.

To be honest the only safe way of doing things is to have two servers. Upgrade one to newest OS, move data to that. Then when the time comes again, do it the other way.

Alternatively just backup to somewhere safe, upgrade OS (from scratch), then restorew data.

I'm sure it is possible to do a "live" update, but it is bound to screw something up, and I'm sure Plesk won't be happy as you'll have a version for one OS installed when in fact you now have a different one if you upgrade "live".

Maybe someone has actually done it? I'd be interested to know too out of curiosity.

Faris.

Upgrade ... XEN

Well Im on this dilema too.
One of the BIG headaches is having to upgrade an OS on a live server.

I was talking the other day and I found XEN, XEN is a virtualization software for Linux, its pretty stable and its open source.

Its not very easy to install (best use CentOS as base system) but after 2 nights I was able to get it working perfectly.

With XEN you can create virtual machines using wich OS you prefer, (Linux types). Its opensource.

Im running CentOS 4.1 as the base machine and CentOS 4.3 and Debian as virtual machines. So far so good but my virtual machines are not making any HEAVY work, only on Intranet with Samba and some CRM.

I'll have to upgrade soon, I will install XEN for sure, this will allow me more security and create more machines to diferents purposes.

Check it out at www.xensource.com

Regards
Joao Correia

That's an excellent idea! Why didn't I think of that?

There is also VMWare server, which is also free (currently Beta, but will remain free). I use the commercial desktop version extensively for testing, but have yet to try the server version.

The best thing with virtualisation is that you can backup/move the entire "server" from one physical hardware platform to another without worrying about hardware. So you could shift the whole thing to a new server with better hardware without re-installing plesk etc etc.

Faris.

Back