• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

pleskbackup eats ALL resources!!!!

M

meat1oaf

I am trying to migrate my 8.2 Linux server to a new 9.0 Linux server. However, when I run the backup CLI, the whole server slows to a crawl, and eventually m clients call up saying their email client says the server is down. When I check load - I see it over 15.

Is there a way to run the backup process without it monopolizing ALL of my system resources????? I can;t have my server effectively "down" while the backup is running!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

One thing I think you should check into is how you are going to restore your back from 8.2 in 9.0 cause the backups are different types and 9.0 has no migration manager. May have to rethink transfering to a new server

http://kb.odin.com/en/5864

I have done an individual domain restore and that worked, although my server was brought to its knees.
No idea how I am going to pull of backing up the whole server w/o anyone complaining.....

anyone? anyone at all? I can't imagine I am the only one having this problem....

There is an option in backups a checkbox to do it in either backgound or lower priority. I am not in plesk now so can't tell you, but it's in there.

and so it appears that I have wasted my money on this product.

Not only is there ZERO help from actual Parallels folks here, the product is painfully incomplete. I was told by my sales rep that I would be able to migrate from my old Plesk 8.2 server (on FC2) to my brand new server running 9.0 on Centos 5.2.

However, I was not told a few things.
#1) The GUI migration tool is GONE
#2) The CLI migration tool is SLOW
#3) The CLI migration tool eats 300% of your available system resources, bringing server to a COMPLETE crawl, rendering it useless for my clients. While I am doing a backup, they can;t see their websites, check their mail, ANYTHING!
#4) The CLI migration process creates a temporary dump file that will be the size of all the data combined. On my server, where the data is over 50% of my available drive space, this process takes me down to 0 usable space on my partition and promptly crashes.

Can any kind soul out there please help me out here??? I now have an upgraded license on my old server that will not renew in March, and a new server just sitting around with a brand new 9.0 license that I can't use!

Ok, it's a bit late, sorry. Use the pleskbackup CLI, gives you a better control of what you are doing. Use the -z switch to prevent zipping the file. That is taking a lot of resources. Also be sure you're not taking off the site during backup. There is a switch for that as well. Google "Pleskbackup 9 reference guide", you'll find plenty of useful information in there.

Back