• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Possible to adjust Mailer-Daemon response time?

G

gtowle

I have a client who sends mass emails (not SPAM). Today he received a few Mailer-Daemon emails containing undeliverable emails from a mailing he sent a week ago. He's wondering if the "failure notices" can be received quicker, and I don't know the answer.

I've read through the Qmail documentation but cannot find the answer, so thought I would start here and see if anyone might know or might be able to point me in the right direction.

I don't know enough about Qmail to start digging on my own.

http://www.qmailrocks.org/maintain.php says:

queuelifetime - The "queuelifetime" setting for qmail determines how long messages can stay in the queue. By default, your qmail server will keep messages in the queue for 604,800 seconds, or 7 days. However, you can set a custom queuelifetime by creating a file called /var/qmail/control/queuelifetime. The content of that file is a single line containing a number which represents the number of seconds the queue will hold any given message. If you want to set a custom queuelifetime, you might want to whip out the old calculator.

Thanks, breun! I've created the file "queuelifetime" with one line "172800" (48 hours). We'll see if it works.

P.S. I visited Maastricht, NL a couple of years ago. Loved your country - especially all the REAL bike lanes! I wish US cities were that bike friendly.

Did you restart qmail after creating that file?

Yeah, lots of bikes here in the Netherlands. I believe we have more bikes than people in this country...

Back