1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

PPA Installation question

Discussion in 'Plesk Automation' started by skb1963, Jan 30, 2013.

1. skb1963

skb1963 New Pleskian

35%
    I am new to plesk and am trying it out. Going to be coming from HSphere. I had Plesk installed on CentOS 6.x and then went to install the PPA which said it would only work on CentOS 5.x. So I reinstalled the OS with 5.x. Instead of installing Plesk, I installed the PPA thinking that was all that was needed but I don't see the same things that were in Plesk now. Do I need to start over and on CentOS 5.x install Plesk, then in stall PPA over it on the same server?

Thanks in Advance.

2. skb1963

skb1963 New Pleskian

35%
    Geez. No help whatsoever. Ok, I reinstalled with CentOS 5.7 and installed PPA on the server. I then tried to install Plesk on it and found that the PPA and Plesk can't be on the same server. Seems someone would have known this and said something here. I finally found "one" of the install documents that mentions something about this.

I then installed Plesk on another server and added that node to the PPA. Of course now I have no idea on how to get to the Plesk panel. Could be because the trial license that I put in for Plesk can't be put in for that node in the PPA.

3. skb1963

skb1963 New Pleskian

35%
    FYI. There are no trial licenses for PPA.

4. rrolfe

rrolfe New Pleskian

60%
    You have to install PPA on a fresh server. Once PPA is installed you can use the PPA interface on the server to add other "Service Nodes" which can be used to offer hosting services. The PPA server itself can be used to offer these services but I wouldn't suggest it.

There is no need to install Plesk.

PPA licenses are free of charge, so there's no need to get a trial license. You do need standard Plesk licenses for the service nodes (and one for the PPA server itself). These licenses must be leased dedicated server unlimited domain licenses. That is the only requirement.

5. XWSNZD

XWSNZD New Pleskian

35%
    You can request temporary development licences directly from Parallels.

6. alphacomp

alphacomp Basic Pleskian

85%
  7. Antonio Sanchez

Antonio Sanchez Basic Pleskian

57%
    As I can see, all the Licenses are "Unlimited for Dedicated Server" but, what's happen if your are using PCS like me.

All our objects are VZ Containers and we have PPA over VZ 4.7.

The licenses must be for "dedicated server" or it could be for "virtuozzo containers?

Best Regards

8. skb1963

skb1963 New Pleskian

35%
    Alphacomp, Thank you. I had seen where it didn't require a license, but then it required a plesk license. I was doing so much reading that I was getting confused since I wasn't installing plesk on there. I do not think they should say, in any way, that PPA is free and doesn't require a license. Then later say that it requires a Dedicated Plesk license even though Plesk is not installed. So saying it is free is totally misleading to me. Yes, I know, "The PPA Software" is free, but it is a node and is charged as a node. It isn't like someone is going to get the free software just to put onto CD and use for a coaster. They get it to use it and to use it, it is NOT free. If it was free, I wouldn't have to pay $40 a month for it with a plesk license when plesk is not installed on it.

9. skb1963

skb1963 New Pleskian

35%
    Antonio. I'm not 100% sure, but I am assuming you have to pay for a dedicated license too on any server that is controlled by the PPA. The reason I am assuming the Dedicated license is because I am running everything in Virtual Machines and those licenses won't work on it as per Sales department. I don't use their "virtuozzo containers" so those words were never mentioned when I talked to sales. But as I was told, it is clearly documented that a "Dedicated License" is required.