• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Previewing a site by IP address

T

thedust2010

We need to be able to review a site before DNS propagates over to our web server. Plesk does a great job with the Site Preview, but unfortunately there are some websites of ours that require accurate absolute URLs for some of the variables in order to import CSS correctly.

Is there a way to configure a domain's DNS so that you can preview it by IP? (ex: http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)

So far I've had no luck. I've created an exclusive IP and assigned it to the domain. It is also the only IP address in the Client's IP Pool. For the DNS settings, I choose the exclusive IP and click "Default". When I visit http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx or check the site preview, I just get the default Plesk page now instead of the website that is on the server. Very strange. Does anyone have advice or help for me?

You should also go into Server IP Addresses and set the default domain for the exclusive IP.

If the DNS has not propagated, you could set the primary Windows DNS server to your server's IP (or whichever DNS server IP serves the domain), then restart Windows. This will allow Windows to 'ask' your DNS server for the domain's IP before trying the local ISP or any others, and this avoids the propagation delay.

I am on a Linux server (Fedora Core 2). I've tried restarting the server and that didn't work. I've gone into Server > IP Addresses, but "Default Domain" simply says "none" and doesn't allow me to enter any values. There is not textbox or dropdown there...

In Server IPAddresses, click on the number zero '0' at the end of the IP address line (Hosting column), then you have to put a checkmark in the box at the end of the domain line, then click on the link above 'Set As Default', this will set that domain as the default for that IP address.

You're on FC2, and Plesk version is what??

Awesome! After a restart it worked! I am sorry for this as I see this is detailed in the help files. Thank you SOOO much for your assistance on this!

Back