• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Problems Migrating from 8.4 to 9.2.1

bskrakes

Basic Pleskian
Hi all!

So I am finally taking the plunge and have upgraded to Plesk 9.2.1, of course it hasn't gone as planned. Right now I am currently running a VDS with Go Daddy and am running Plesk 8.4. I do regular backups (nightly) and those work fine with 8.x versions. Moving from 8.4 to 9.2.1 seems a bit tricky... First off the document recommends that I upgrade my 8.4 to 8.6 but I cannot do that as I am currently use a VDS through Go Daddy. So I have a couple spare machines at home and I also have Virtual Machines running on VMware Workstation, I will get to that later. Here is what I have done so far:

1) On my source server I have created a full back as per the Backup and Restore Guide for Plesk 9.2 by running the following command:
/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup all /dump.psa

2) I then SCP it to my remote server and convert the back to a format in which I can only assume Plesk 9.X uses as per the Backup and Restore Guide for Plesk 9.2
/usr/local/psa/bin/pre9-backup-convert convert -d /var/lib/psa/dumps /dump.psa

3) At this point I tried to run the restore from the command line but I fail... see next step

4) Since the command line didn't work (I know I didn't pass all the correct parameters through or so I would assume). I then tried the GUI through the web page https://serverip:8443 >> Plesk Backup Manager >> Open the XML file >> Restore with all settings... Again another error:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<execution-result status="success"><message code="FailedClientDeployment" severity="error"><context>void plesk::ClientDeployer::deployClientData(plesk::XmlNode) const</context><file>./client_deploy.cpp</file><line>96</line><text>Failed deployment of client skrakes</text><message code="ExecCmd::ExFailed" severity="error"><context>void plesk::ExecCmd::reportError() const</context><file>ExecCmd.cpp</file><line>49</line><text>Execution of /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/api-cli/client.php --create skrakes -name <username>\ <username> -notify false -passwd -email <username>@<domainname>.com -creation-date 2006-12-24 -guid c986d508-d206-4aa7-9372-2c71a0bc03cb -owner admin failed with return code 1.
Stderr is
An error occured during client creation: Unable to set "name" argument's value ("<username>"): Client with name <username> already exists.
</text></message></message></execution-result>

So with that being the error message and I know for a fact the user does not exist because I delete all existing users my question to anyone is why would I get the above error??? My admin information is similar, obviously the name is the same but the server admin preferences should not interfere with client/reseller preferences should they?

Any help would be greatly appreciated I am dieing to re-provision my VDS, install Plesk 9.2.1 and restore my settings from a backup file... NONE OF THIS can happen if I can't first prove to myself that it will work on at least one of my spare machines and/or a Virtual Machine.

I'd love some help, thanks and take care!

Last edited:
Problems Migrating from 8.4 to 9.2.1 -- RESOLVED

Fantastic! It seems that the server admin/owner cannot have a client account with the same contact name... That is pretty silly if you ask me but whatever (maybe I missed something very basic in previous versions 7.5 or 8.X but I am pretty sure this is a bug in 9.2.1)

Here is what I had to do:

1) do the steps from my first post
2) Once you have confirmed all but the one client account has been restored move on to step 3. If more than one client hasn't been restored you have different problems then what I am posting here. (remember this is my case and I just so have to have the same contact name for my client account as the server admin)
3) Through the Plesk ADMIN control panel I edited my profile for the main server (from the home page). I had to change my name from first and last name to first name, middle initial and last name.
4) I then followed the instructions in the Plesk 9.2 Migration manual... the manual says to create the client account which was not created, do this manually through the Plesck CP >> Once the missing client has been created go to the clients settings and select the "Backup Manager" >> import the settings as required >> your account should now be restored
view the Migration Guide here: http://download1.parallels.com/Plesk/PPP9/Doc/en-US/plesk-9.2-migration-guide.pdf

EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE NORMAL BUT I WILL POST BACK ONCE I HAVE COMPLETED ALL MY TESTS...

REBOOT YOUR SERVER FOR GOOD PRACTICE AND MAKE SURE ALL SETTINGS ARE AS EXPECTED

Back