1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice

problems with TOMCAT

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by dwskp, Apr 5, 2005.

1. dwskp

dwskp Guest

Have you guys run into a problem with Tomcat when trying to deploy a war that contains other jars. I can't even get the java code to connect to mysql through mysql jars installed through the war. I have also tried placing the jars into common/libs. Still, I am getting a security related problem. For some reason tomcat is not allowing java to connect to mysql through the correcponding drivers. What do I need to do to make sure that java has access to all the jars included in the war?? I need to be able to use hibernate,struts, etc.. otherwise what is the point of having tomcat in plesk??

2. dwskp

dwskp Guest

Never mind guys I solved it by editing the catalina.policy file, everything works fine now.

3. ryanz

ryanz Basic Pleskian

73%
    What did you actually do/edit to get it working?
    Please post it here so we can share the information.

Thanks

4. dwskp

dwskp Guest

Ryan,

This is what I did, I added the following to the catalina.policy file in the WEB APPLICATION PERMISSIONS section, please note this definition is on its own, it's not embedded into grant {} that is already defined in the policy file:

initially i have tried this, but it didn't work:

grant codeBase "file:/var/cache/tomcat4/work/PSA/-" {
    permission java.net.SocketPermission "localhost:8080", "connect";
    permission java.net.SocketPermission "localhost:3306", "listen,connect,accept,resolve";
    permission java.net.SocketPermission "localhost.localdomain:3306", "listen,connect,accept,resolve";
    permission java.util.PropertyPermission "file.encoding", "read";
    };

so I did this instead:

grant codeBase "file:/var/cache/tomcat4/work/PSA/-" {
    permission java.security.AllPermission;
    };

I know it's not the most secure way, but it works until I figure out what's wrong the the first way of doing it.

Drew.

5. dwskp

dwskp Guest

oh you also need to restart tomcat after the edit to have this working.

For those who don't know where catalina.policy is located, it's in /var/tomcat4/conf directory.

Drew

6. ryanz

ryanz Basic Pleskian

73%
    Thanks for the details :)