• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Problems with traffic display

G

gweilo8888

Hi all

I did a good few searches of the forums related to Plesk 7.5 Reloaded, but couldn't see any discussing this. My apologies if I missed anything.

I have just recently moved to a dedicated server on which I am running two domains right now. Both domains were preexisting before the move, and have a modest amount of traffic.

When I click the domains link in Plesk, I get a list showing both domains, their creation date, and an amount of traffic:

Code:
Domain name Creation date Subdomains Disk usage Traffic
domain1     Oct 29, 2005  0          251 MB     297 MB/Month
domain2     Oct 16, 2005  6          306 MB     3 158 MB/Month

If I then click on the domain names, in the info section on the resulting page, the traffic reported for one domain matches the statistic above, but the other is WAY off:

domain1:
Traffic 297 MB/Month Unlimited

domain2:
Traffic 614 MB/Month Unlimited

If I then go to my webalizer reports for the domains, I find that for the current month:

domain1:
Monthly Totals - Kbytes 304168

domain2:
Monthly Totals - Kbytes 620988

This obviously agrees with the latter information, so:
  • The information on these pages is poorly labelled. X MB/Month implies that this is a prediction of the traffic total for the current month, but it isn't - it is a running total of the traffic for the elapsed portion of the month. The label should be changed to remove the "/Month".
  • The 3,158MB figure on my domains page is clearly wrong - but why, and what can I do to correct it?
I'm running on CentOS on an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ server, incidentally. If any other information is needed, please let me know!

webalizer only counts the bandwidth for certain file types.

Ie it ignores all graphic files - if you have large graphic files these could easily be using the additional bandwidth thats not showing in webalizer.

Install a copy of awstats and configure it to show all filetypes if you want to see whats really going on in your http access.

Originally posted by mikk
webalizer only counts the bandwidth for certain file types.

Ie it ignores all graphic files - if you have large graphic files these could easily be using the additional bandwidth thats not showing in webalizer.

Install a copy of awstats and configure it to show all filetypes if you want to see whats really going on in your http access.

Thanks for the reply. That doesn't explain why Plesk contradicts itself though. Also, Webalizer's figures are perfect match for all of the figures given by Plesk, *except* for the 3,158MB figure.

Oh, and that 3,158MB figure is most assuredly nonsense. The domain in question had only been active for about four to five days, and that domain has never turned 20+ GB of bandwidth a month by itself, nor does it even *have* any particularly large graphics files. (My old hosting was capped at 16GB per month for all of my domains, so if that domain had really been so busy, it would have maxed out my bandwidth halfway through the month, every month).

i am not sure exactly what screen you are on to get them figures.

the screen to look at to see where the bandwidth is from is :

Login to the admin area
goto the domain in question
Click report icon
click traffic

this will then show you a http/pop3/ftp etc breakdown of where the usage is.

Also the bandwdith will vary depending on what you have told it to log in :

server->server preferences->bandwidth logging at the bottom.

Originally posted by mikk
i am not sure exactly what screen you are on to get them figures.

the screen to look at to see where the bandwidth is from is :

Login to the admin area
goto the domain in question
Click report icon
click traffic

this will then show you a http/pop3/ftp etc breakdown of where the usage is.

Also the bandwdith will vary depending on what you have told it to log in :

server->server preferences->bandwidth logging at the bottom.

Log in as admin. As I said, first click on "Domains", you'll see where I have the incorrect figure in the right-hand frame near the bottom of the page.

Then click on the domain name in the list. The right-hand frame will refresh, scroll down to the bottom and you'll see where I'm seeing the correct figures.

For what it is worth though, the link you described also shows the correct figures, NOT the incorrect value reported on the domains page.

I have the same Problem. I have 4 Domains on a Server. One is showing over 2 Gig Traffic for 2 Days (on the Detailed Traffic page only near 500MB). One Domain seems to show the right Traffic and one Domain shows a lower amound in the Overview than on the Detailed Page.

The to Domains with Problems have configured Subdomains the others don't but I thinksubdomains are included with the main Domain because they do not have a Traffic Overview Page.

Also I deleted the Domain wich shows the very high amound of Traffic once. Could there be duplicate entrys for that Domain?

Originally posted by Kitara
The to Domains with Problems have configured Subdomains the others don't but I thinksubdomains are included with the main Domain because they do not have a Traffic Overview Page.

Also I deleted the Domain wich shows the very high amound of Traffic once. Could there be duplicate entrys for that Domain?

AHA - now, all of the above is also true for me. I have subdomains on the domain with the problem, but not the other domain. I also deleted the domain with the problem once, while I was figuring out how Plesk worked, then readded it a bit later.

Anybody else got the problem, and if so do either of the above match your situation?

We saw this problem recently and consulted SWsoft on it - they said:

This problem will be fixed in next Plesk patch.

That was on 26th Oct 2005.

I noticed there were updates available in the Updater recently which we installed - not sure if they addressed this particular problem, but it's always worth installing the updates.

- Chris

I have checked this, and although we have installed all available updates, the problem is still not resolved.

Presumably it will be resolved in the next patch from SWsoft.

- Chris

Is it fixed now ?

I have clients complaining about the same problem:
Some are receiving everyday a mail telling they are using over 39 GB traffic per month, wich is clearly contradicted by the stats they found on the domain > report > traffic page: 800 MB

Is this fixed now ? Else, will it be soon ?

Workaround ?

I found they are duplicates rows in the psa.Limits table:
Code:
mysql> select * from Limits where id = 126 and limit_name in ('disk_space','max_traffic','mbox_quota') order by limit_name, value;
+-----+-------------+------------+
| id  | limit_name  | value      |
| 126 | disk_space  | 209715200  |
| 126 | max_traffic | 1073741824 |
| 126 | mbox_quota  | 20971520   |
| 126 | mbox_quota  | 30720000   |
| 126 | mbox_quota  | 30720000   |
| 126 | mbox_quota  | 31211520   |
21 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql>
I think it's a mistake not to have a primary key on the id and limit_name columns: how should plesk decide which row is the right one ?

My problem got fixed after I removed all those rows and reconfigured the domain using the plesk interface. (Though when I have to do more updates, duplicates rows reappears).

I think I shouldn't have to go in the psa database to fix this kind of things, since it requires a good knowledge of both SQL and plesk (I am not sure I have the latter...)

Back