• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Proftpd 452 disc full

chubba

New Pleskian
Hi,

I have used webmin to create a new user for backups so I can store backups from other servers outside of the home directory.

This user is chrooted and I have done this on other servers in the past without problem.

Now when I try and upload even the smallest file I get:

"452 Transfer aborted. No space left on device"

The server is new and has 60Gb left on drive. I can find nothing to say that this folder should be limited in space.

Any ideas what I have done wrong?

Thanks.

Chubba

try it without the chroot, then report your success or failure

no chroot

Removed chroot. Connect and could browse whole directory system, trying to upload to /backups folder still gave message:

150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 119_1926_resized.jpg
ERROR:> Can't send data. Terminating send process...
452 Transfer aborted. No space left on device
Error closing data transfer

If you run:

df -ah

Via shell, what does it say? It definately sounds like one of your partitions is full.

Hi Cranky, thanks for the tip:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda1 510M 443M 41M 92% /
none 0 0 0 - /proc
none 0 0 0 - /sys
none 0 0 0 - /dev/pts
none 502M 0 502M 0% /dev/shm
/dev/hda7 63G 21M 63G 1% /home
/dev/hda5 4.9G 963M 4.0G 20% /usr
/dev/hda6 4.9G 131M 4.8G 3% /var
none 0 0 0 - /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc

Well, being such a noob I guess the /backups folder could have been created on hda1. How can I tell? It has a few Mb left on it yet even trying to upload a 2kb text file causes the error.

<slaps forehead>..

anything created outside of the specified directories(/home, /usr, /var) is created on the / mount.

so in your case, yes /backups is not mounted on the 60gig drive. if you want it to be on the 60gig drive, you'll have to create it somewhere under the /home directory.

also, imo, i would suggest you also create a /tmp partition so it doesn't eat up your / partition.

<slaps forehead reciprocated>

Thanks for helping a newb understand the system a bit more people, much appreciated.

I had put the /backups directory outside of the /home directory as I use a back up process to copy the /home directory to another server and copying the backups dir too would have duplicated stuff and eaten up bandwidth unnecessarily...

OK, I can change my backupscripts to ignore a /home/backups dir with no problem so this has sorted me right out.

serial-thrilla - if i create a /temp dir what would i need to direct there to stop the my / dir gettinge eaten up.

Thanks for helping the n00b, eternal happiness to you.

Chubba

/tmp - not /temp

applications will naturally use that directory on their own, such as php when keeping file-based session variables.

you can have the backups directory in /home and just tell the application to ignore /home/backups.

however, i like to put the backup directory on it's own partition in case if the process goes haywire and fills the partition then it has less of a potential to bother the rest of the system.

thanks again but if i make a /tmp directory it will by default be added to the partition that has v little disc space?

As with the backups directory i guess the thing to do is knock out a couple of new partitions from the 60Gb one and have one for backups and one for tmp.

But how do I make sure that new partitions have the directory I want and why can I not specify that /backups should be on the big partiton and not the small ones?

Time to rtfm i guess...

do know i'm mixing labels (mount points) with device partitions for simplicity.

yes, it will be on the / partition if you just "mkdir /tmp"

if you set up the partitions right, you can be sure, but to double-check you'll either checkout /etc/fstab (file that will tell you which mount points belong to which drive/partition and is what you will edit when you want to change things) or df, which you ran earlier, will let you know the same as well.

to help you with the task that lies ahead -- going off what i know, anyone correct me if i'm wrong plese:
if you use ext 3, you'll have to reformat existing partitions on the 60gb to make room for new partitions.
if you use lvm, you'll be able to do this without having to delete your data.
i'm sure there's applications to resize existing ext3 filesystems but they're experimental.

Back