• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

qmail and CLAMD/CLAMAV installation problem

C

ChipMonk

I am not very sure if this sort of problem have been discussed earlier (i searched the forum -- but no such problems :: maybe missed string)

system:
FC2
Pleask 7.5.4 (updated by turtle)

i did:
yum remove drweb-qmail drweb
yum install qmail-scanner clamd

and this is the exact thing i get

yum install qmail-scanner clamd
Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
Server: Atomic Rocket Turtle - 2 - Atomic PSA-Compatible RPMS
Server: Atomic Rocket Turtle - 2 - Atomic PSA App Vault RPMS
Server: Atomic Rocket Turtle - 2 - Base OS RPMS mirror
Server: Atomic Rocket Turtle - 2 - SW-Soft PSA 7.5 RPMS
Server: Atomic Rocket Turtle - 2 - OS Update RPMS mirror
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
clamd is installed and is the latest version.
Resolving dependencies
Dependencies resolved
I will do the following:
[install: qmail-scanner 1:1.25-9.rhfc2.art.noarch]
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages
Running test transaction:
Test transaction complete, Success!
qmail-scanner 100 % done 1/1
install: cannot stat `qmail-scanner-queue.pl': No such file or directory
setuidgid: fatal: unable to run /var/qmail/bin/qmail-scanner-queue.pl: file does not exist
setuidgid: fatal: unable to run /var/qmail/bin/qmail-scanner-queue.pl: file does not exist
chmod: cannot access `/var/qmail/bin/qmail-scanner-queue.pl': No such file or directory
Installed: qmail-scanner 1:1.25-9.rhfc2.art.noarch
Transaction(s) Complete

DrWeb flooded me today with 96000 emails in less than 10 minutes.

So I am thinking to shift to something better (free is always better)

Any other suggesions are welcomed.

Issue the following commands, it'll fix it...

services spamassassin stop
qmail-scanner-reconfigure
services spamassassin start

remove completely DrWeb and do a yum install clamd. That will install ClamAV, once installed, execute qmail-scanner-reconfigure and you should be set.

thanx, it didnt give error, but i didnt see any control panel option after its installed.

does it check all by default? I tried to enable or disable it on the mail settings of the emaill address, but it doenst show anything enabled there.

You won't see a CP option to manage ClamAV, if you want that, install DrWeb again.

Yes, once clamav, spamassassin, and qmail-scanner are installed and configured, it pretty much does everything, scans everything, and the cronjob keeps it updated. Like I say, as long as it's all installed and configured properly...

One question regarding the spamassasins,

i did the following:

removed psa-sa

installed sa through ART yum

thatz what i did, (i reconfigured by qmail-scanner-reconfigure)

do i have to do anything else now?

as its (as expected) not shwoing in the control panel.

Generally, now you sit back and relax....

But seriously, check your email headers now and you should see the additional headers which will show you it's working.

The only other thing you may want to consider adding to SA is RulesDuJour and the available rulesets. SA itself is good, RDJ added to it makes it even better.

Qmail-scanner is wonderful at controlling it all (AV and SA), logging is good, too tired to go on. Just posted in another thread on this as well.

You can run both sa and psa-sa. Just make sure you are running psa 7.5.4 and install ART's newest rpm SA 3.1-4.

both will not work together, either ART or PSA.

one question if someone knows, is it possible to manually edit the allowed or restricted list?

i edited this line:

/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf

and then restarted spamassassin.

You can run both together, just not at the same time. The way I did it was to install ART's Spamassassin first, then the psa-spamassassin. Manually stop both, then run /usr/bin/qmail-scanner-reconfigure. It will setup to not use spamassassin. Then go to the control panel and start Plesk's Spamassassin. From what I understand qmail-scanner keeps the spamd daemon running all of the time, but psa-spamassassin only calls the daemon as it is needed.

I guess I read wrong then, oops.

But is it true that both can't be activated together? I know a while back I could run both and had little or no problems outside of delivery time - no big deal. But since SA 3 it doesn't seem to work well. With both activated the headers are coming back looking like:

X-SPAM-STATUS: ?, hits=?, score=?

Yeah you can run both at the same time, the only fallout is that messages would be scanned twice, once by qmail-scanner (which runs inside the mail queue) and once when it hits the users mail box. Worst case you pick up some minor latency and some CPU overhead.

But I have found that running both disables the individual user's settings. It seems qmail-scanner's settings overrides psa-spamassassin's. Is this right?

It depends on the way its communicating to spamd, thats one of the reasons that PSA runs 2 separate instances. The variables used in spamd dictate how and where it will pull system/domain/user configuration information.

Is it smart to install this on a VPS?

I'm experiencing extreme loads when using email..
My Linux RedHat VPS has 512MB.

Back