• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

qmail & greylisting spam control (for v8)

I wouldn't say a trickle :p Definitely effective against spammer MTAs that dont retry(which spamhaus or other RBL's get too). Definitely a good idea though.

Can you elaborate please Scott?

Are you saying that using xbl-sbl.spamhaus.whatever it is as an RBL is likely to be as effective as using greylisting?

Faris.

Yes indeed, not that greylisting isn't a good idea. A spammer MTA will rarely if ever retry to send the message when it encounters a temporary failure, they'll just drop the message and move on to the next email address. You get the same effect from the RBL's, they'll just drop the message and keep going. Think of a spammer MTA as the Anti-Project Gamera :p The bonus with greylisting is that you get the new spammer MTA's that arent on the RBL's.

For everyone else, spam is coming through MTA's that do retry (open relays, webforms, etc) the messages still have a high likelihood of being delivered. The exception is when the MTA's mail queue is so full that it takes more than 5 days to get back to the message, and it's dropped automatically. Greylisting adds to that burden by stalling the queue. (You can do something like this with firewall rules too, called 'tarpitting'. )

As more people start to implement greylisting it will have a larger and larger impact.

Thanks Scott.

Death to the AntiGamera! ;-)

The reason I'm asking is that I'm microns close to implementing greylisting on our live servers, but I'm still hesitant because I've seen some mailing lists not retry in my tests. On the other hand we are likely to get more false positives using RBLs. But the amount os spam coming through to customer accounts is silly. I just don't know what to do really. In the end I'll probably implement both !

Faris.

The only legit mail servers Ive ever seen have trouble with sending to a greylisting box were Lotus Notes boxes. The more modern ones seem to handle it OK these days.

Scott does your qgreylist work under Plesk 8.0.1/CentOS 4.2?

Luke

Originally posted by atomicturtle
Absolutely, just run "yum install qgreylist", and then restart xinetd.

Fantastic, thank you.

I've searched everything I can here, but can't tell if I need to configure anything? Or is it basically just 'install and work, yay'?

I am still new to linux ... so patience is appreciated. :)

Thanks for your time.

Luke

Originally posted by atomicturtle
Absolutely, just run "yum install qgreylist", and then restart xinetd.

Scott,

Does it also work on CentOS 3.8 with psa 7.5.2, running Drweb and psa-spamassassin?

As lpittman also asks; do i need to configure anything?

Can it break anything and if so; can i just remove the package through "yum remove qgreylist", effectively reverting to the 'original' state?

Well, I've officially gone 1 day now with qgreylist installed as per ATRs instructions.

Normally I would have 25/30 spam emails, this morning I had 1!

I am going to make a few phone calls and see if my customers experienced the same success that I did, making sure it wasn't just a fluke.

I'll post my findings...

Luke

Could this cause any issues with the outgoing mail on my server?

Ah yes, just a typo, it was infact yours that I used.

It is still continuing to work excellent and I have had nothing but fantastic feedback from my customers.

Thanks so much.

Luke

hey what about me, i use debian :(
could someone make the plesk8-patched qmail sources available, as well as the greylisting patch?
so i can compile it on my debian system...
i had this for plesk 7.5, but now i got plesk 8 and dont want to use an old qmail binary which lacks spf support and a series of other things that were added in plesk 8...
PLEEEASEEE i desperatly need greylisting :)

Originally posted by Hal9000
hey what about me, i use debian :(
could someone make the plesk8-patched qmail sources available, as well as the greylisting patch?
so i can compile it on my debian system...
i had this for plesk 7.5, but now i got plesk 8 and dont want to use an old qmail binary which lacks spf support and a series of other things that were added in plesk 8...
PLEEEASEEE i desperatly need greylisting :)

This article contains the psa qmail source code

http://kb.swsoft.com/article_22_1161_en.html

it only contains the patches.
i was unable to patch/compile successfully however...
anyone?

Have anybody patch for FreeBSD 6.0? Or maybe can write mini how to, because I want try this, my server have big problem with spam :mad:

Great!
However this time i have some trouble compiling:

Code:
qmail-smtpd.c: In function `main':
qmail-smtpd.c:1303: warning: return type of `main' is not `int'
./compile spf.c
./compile qmail-spp.c
./load qmail-smtpd rcpthosts.o commands.o timeoutread.o \
timeoutwrite.o ip.o ipme.o ipalloc.o control.o constmap.o \
tls.o ssl_timeoutio.o ndelay.a `cat ssl.lib` \
received.o date822fmt.o now.o qmail.o cdb.a fd.a wait.a \
datetime.a getln.a open.a sig.a case.a env.a stralloc.a strsalloc.o spf.o dns.o qmail-spp.o \
alloc.a substdio.a error.a str.a fs.a auto_qmail.o  `cat \
socket.lib` `cat dns.lib`
cat: ssl.lib: No such file or directory
./compile qmail-envelope-scanner.c
./compile local_scan.c
make: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.a', needed by `qmail-envelope-scanner'.  Stop.
root@fonzie:~/qmail-1.03#

I have Debian Sarge and installed the 'libssl-dev' and 'libmysqlclient14-dev' packages.
Any idea how i can fix this?
Greetings
Hal

Back