• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Qmail keeps stopping

S

sieb@

Just upgraded one server 7.5.4 and after turning on Watchdog, I started getting notices every few hours saying Qmail stopped responding, then 10 mins later it would say it was fine. I tried to connect to qmail while it was down and it was indeed not responding (though submission responded), so I started Qmail and it came up fine. All the logs say is that Qmail stopped, then restarted, no errors.

Anyone else see this?

Same problems here... I have now disabled the watchdog to see if that is causing the problem.

i have the same issue with qmail, except it started before i upgraded to 7.5.4

any ideas for cure yet?

cheers

As posted earlier - I had the same problem.

I've ended up disabled watchdog - as it seems to stop the running Qmail Daemon - I haven't had time to dig more into the problem yet, but hope to find some time over the weekend.

But please keep us posted if anyone finds the solution :)

Hmm.. Qmail hasn't been a problem today. I will try disabling watchdog also and see what happens..

ive gotta say that qmail is behaving itself today too and i still have watchdog running...hmmmm very strange

Same issue here. Watchdog was sending me these emails:

[Sun, 28 Aug 2005 01:01:19 +0100] qmail on p15167366.pureserver.info: Connection failed.
'qmail' failed protocol test [SMTP] at INET[localhost:25].

Then:

[Sun, 28 Aug 2005 01:11:25 +0100] qmail on p15167366.pureserver.info: Connection passed.
'qmail' connection passed

I have disabled the Qmail monitoring but left Watchdog running.

I have never had a problem before installing Watchdog.

I have written to Plesk Tech Support and will keep you updated when they reply to me.

Did they confirm that it is a problem between Qmail and Watchdog?

I've also disovered today that DrWeb seems to have stoped working with the Control Panel Settings - did some statistics and discovered that no mailboxes (except a couple of my own) was checked - even though I've enabled virusscan in the controlpanel.

Had to manually enable scanning for all incoming mail until this problem is resolved.

Arrghhh :)

Wow, and we even had to wait an extra month or so for this release. I'm glad I don't feel the urge to be on the 'bleeding edge'. Although I had planned on doing the updater this weekend on a clone of one of my production servers. Just haven't had the time yet.. :)

I actually mostly sadly most say - I've upgraded from 7.1.7 to 7.5.3 without having enough time to check which things were broken.

This and the fact I had to upgrade Perl from the old old old 5.005 version to the recent 5.8.7 got me off the track - not knowing what was broken by the Plesk upgrade and what went broken by the Perl upgrade.

I was then told the 7.5.4 release would fix several of my problems so I had to do the upgrade again. Now leaving me in the empty space of not knowing where things stopped working - but hopefully I'll manage to get back on track over the next weeks :)

But well, it keeps me busy :-D

Yes, I seem to recall some of your other posts. Sorry that you have had such troubles. Would it not be faster to do a fresh install of Plesk on a new drive rather than taking 'weeks' to fix the current malfunctioning install?

Well, you've only learn from mistakes and errors - so I'm putting up with it. Learning more and more :)

But I've considered the possibility I must admit :) But as said before - Sw-Support has done a great deal of helping me, providing suggestions on how to restore settings from database to the systemfiles etc. - so I think I'm on top of it - yet :)

I agree about 'learning from mistakes', but I'd rather learn on a non-production server :) Whoops, I made an assumption that your problem(s) are on a live server. Best of luck to you!

Same problem here:
[Sun, 28 Aug 2005 10:36:22 +0200] qmail on www3.web-vision.de: Connection passed.

[Mon, 29 Aug 2005 04:33:36 +0200] qmail on www3.web-vision.de: Connection passed.

What does that mean "passed"?

I guess I will deactivate watchdog now.

Regards,

Boris

What does that mean "passed"?
That means that Watchdog was able to establish a connection to the qmail service, so it 'passed' the test.

A failure would look like what Pagemakers posted earlier:
[Sun, 28 Aug 2005 01:01:19 +0100] qmail on p15167366.pureserver.info: Connection failed.
'qmail' failed protocol test [SMTP] at INET[localhost:25].

Also woke up to this, this morning:

[Mon, 29 Aug 2005 04:05:12 +0100] courier-imap on p15167477.pureserver.info: Connection failed.
'courier-imap' failed protocol test [IMAP] at INET[localhost:143].

[Mon, 29 Aug 2005 04:15:42 +0100] courier-imap on p15167477.pureserver.info: Connection passed.
'courier-imap' connection passed.

IMAP as well. Although it does restart itself.

I wonder if this was happening because the domain was backup up at the time, or if if 4PSA's Total Backup was running (which it does at 4am each night).

One easy way to find out - turn off all backups for a single night and see if it happens again. I don't like that suggestion myself, but I can't think of anything else which would be as simple a test.

Of course, the time could just be coincidence, your earlier posted failures were around 1 am

Back