• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

QMail Performance Tuning

D

d-woo

On the official Mailman FAQ site it is stated:

The 'big knob' for turning up the speed in Qmail is the setting in 'concurrencyremote', which typically lives in /var/qmail/control. The default value is something like 20, and you can turn it up as high as 120 in a default installation. If you need to go faster, there is a 'big concurrency' patch for Qmail that will allow it to be set higher. I have some mail servers that have it set to 250 for delivering email notifications for earthquakes. They typically manage between 1,000-1,500 deliveries per minute when running at full speed.

I didn't have a concurrencyremote file in /var/qmail/control (I have the RPM build)

Adding that file did not help.

I sent an announcement email to 100K email addresses (validated and bona fide).

I used both EZMLM and Mailman.

Both programs filled up the mail queue and delivery was quite slower than on a Plesk 5 box that I moved from.

I now have Plesk 8 and 2 GB more RAM than on my Plesk 5 box....

Is it possible that Qmail is doing DNS resolution on recipients for messages delivered locally?

Is there a fix for this?

Is there a way to use qmail-inject?

Okay,

I modified /etc/xinetd.d/smtp_psa by adding the -Rt0 to prevent reverse lookup.

Code:
service smtp
{
	socket_type     = stream
	protocol        = tcp
	wait            = no
	disable		= no
	user            = root
	instances       = UNLIMITED
	server          = /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
	server_args     = -Rt0 /var/qmail/bin/relaylock /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd 
/var/qmail/bin/smtp_auth /var/qmail/bin/true /var/qmail/bin/cmd5checkpw
 /var/qmail/bin/true
}
Hopefully this was my issue.

Man..these new boxes are something!

SMTP Timeout

Plesk 8
Fedora Core 4

all our customers on Dial Up internet access time out attempting to connect to SMTP. Those on braodband take WAY to long to send mail.

i have made the following fix:

Code:
service smtp
{
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        disable         = no
        user            = root
        instances       = UNLIMITED
        server          = /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
        server_args     = -Rt0 /var/qmail/bin/relaylock /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd /var/qmail/bin/smtp_auth /var/qmail/bin/true /var/qmail/bin/cmd5checkpw /var/qmail/bin/true
}

But the problem still exists. Is it not reading this file? how do we tell if reverse DNS has stopped accurring? This problem is terrible, please help.

CMurphy,

Are your users using "My Server Requires Authentication"?

We had to make sure that in Outlook they put their full email address (not just username) and password under More Settings>>Outgoing Server.

Check the top box My Outgoing Server Requires Authenticationthen select Log On Using vs Use Same Settings As My Incoming Server

Additionally, I think I remember someone stating that they had to restart their entire server. Restarting Qmail and Xinet.d was not enough....I think I read that....but cannot find the post.

Well its not just outlook customers, its those using Thunderbird as well.

It just takes forever for those using dial up to connect. Those on DSL have a better time but its still not very fast.

I have this same problem and have not been able to find any solution in either thunderbird or outlook express.

Same SMTP Problem

I'm having the same problem. Sending emails in Outlook takes about 30 seconds to authenticate and send.
telnet on port 25 takes about 30 seconds to authenticate. I have -Rt0 on the server_args line in the smtp_psa file and still no luck.

Even if i run a script FROM within the same server to send out emails and the script authenticates via SMTP it still takes 30 seconds to send out.

Has anyone figured this one out yet?

If the server is: Debian 3.x

Hi all,

The mentioned ways is also posible on Debian server.

Do as following:

Code:
vi /etc/inetd.conf

Edit the smtp and smtps lines to look like the following:

Code:
smtp stream tcp nowait.1000 root /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env tcp-env -Rt0 /var/qmail/bin/relaylock /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd /var/qmail/bin/smtp_auth /var/qmail/bin/true /var/qmail/bin/cmd5checkpw /var/qmail/bin/true
smtps stream tcp nowait.1000 root /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env tcp-env -Rt0 /var/qmail/bin/relaylock /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd /var/qmail/bin/smtp_auth /var/qmail/bin/true /var/qmail/bin/cmd5checkpw /var/qmail/bin/true

Save the file, and restart the inetd daemon.

Back