• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Qmail problems after 7.5.0 upgrade, extreme server loads

M

Mu-host.com

I am getting some pretty nasty server loads from qmail-smtpd after the upgrade to 7.5.0, and I've checked to make sure that I'm not using reverse DNS lookups or anything like that. I had a similar problem with 7.1.3 if I am not incorrect. 7.1.1 to 7.1.2 and 7.1.5 to 7.1.6 worked splendidly with no trouble from qmail. What to do? What kind of information do you guys need to help me troubleshoot this?

I too am having extremely large usage problems.

CPU utilization is a constant 100% and my 1 minute load average is over 8 (usually hangs out at sub 2).

`top` shows 4 instances of "autoresponder" (which aren't generating thier replies) all taking up ~20-25% of the processor time. This is obviously the culprit, but I'm unsure of a possible fix.

-=Caleb Newville=-

Just eat your heart out at this. I've submitted a support request to SW-Soft staff to take care of this, or come up with a fix for it. Insane. It shouldn't have been released as a full release, it should have been alpha/beta or release candidate or something... Sheesh.

23450 qmaild 25 0 1376 1372 1124 R 13.9 0.1 0:05 0 qmail-smtpd
23459 qmaild 25 0 1380 1376 1124 R 12.3 0.1 0:04 0 qmail-smtpd
23445 qmaild 25 0 1380 1376 1124 R 12.1 0.1 0:06 0 qmail-smtpd
19358 qmaild 25 0 1180 1176 924 R 11.9 0.1 2:41 0 qmail-smtpd
22828 qmaild 25 0 1380 1376 1124 R 11.9 0.1 0:46 0 qmail-smtpd
23244 qmaild 25 0 1380 1376 1124 R 11.9 0.1 0:25 0 qmail-smtpd
23344 qmaild 25 0 1376 1372 1124 R 11.9 0.1 0:11 0 qmail-smtpd
23428 qmaild 25 0 1380 1376 1124 R 11.9 0.1 0:09 0 qmail-smtpd

I'm so glad that you're having this same problem. Not really glad, but glad I'm not alone. Emails are taking HOURS after the upgrade and smtp processes are running sky high.

I emailed Plesk last night at midnight and they logged into my server, but I don't believe they've found a fix as of yet.

I hope they do soon or I'm gonna be hearing some gripey customers.

And, like you, I had similar problems with previous releases, but after setting remote and local to 1500 and the concurrency to 3060, they've worked fine for the last couple of upgrades with the exception of this upgrade.

Insane. It shouldn't have been released as a full release

Those are the best dummy realase stuff i have ever seen before.

I usually have lots of problems with upgrades, but this one went relatively smoothly for me and I'm not having any qmail problems or load issues.

Just to update you on this, Plesk applied a hotfix which seems to have corrected my problem.

It's FAST FAST FAST now. :) If you're having similar problems with qmail since the upgrade, contact support.

I have a support ticket on file with them but have not had a response to it in over a day. I think they might be out for the weekend. Do you have that patch file which you could either post or privately e-mail to me?

The high load is really starting to become a problem for us.

Thanks,
-=Caleb Newville=-

Plesk support just logged in and patched my qmail and loads now appear to be "normal".

For reference, the problems appear to have been related to the RSA encryption keys in qmail control.

-=Caleb Newville=-

I think the serverload mail problem is the same thing I am having. E-mails take 2 hours to arrive, even if I send one to myself!

Hey,

They actually logged in and patched it and I'm not quite sure where they placed the patch file, but if I were you, I would email them again because I believe that it's something that they just created on Saturday.

Edited: Ooops - just realized that they'd patched your system - so just ignore this post.

Originally posted by inetwiz
I have a support ticket on file with them but have not had a response to it in over a day. I think they might be out for the weekend. Do you have that patch file which you could either post or privately e-mail to me?

The high load is really starting to become a problem for us.

Thanks,
-=Caleb Newville=-

I have a support ticket waiting as well, but nothing other than lame excuses for why they screwed up. Thanks a lot. Now I have to manually go through ALL my domains, including their subdomains and add the following to vhost.conf/vhost_ssl.conf:

<IfModule mod_suexec.c>
SuexecUserGroup <ftpuser> psacln
</IfModule>

It's been fixed on my server as well now, and here's the script to update all the vhost.conf files, modfiy to your own liking:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
for login in `mysql -uadmin -p<PASS> psa -B -e 'select * from sys_users' | awk '{print $2}'|grep -v '^login'`;
  do
    home=`mysql -uadmin -p<PASS> psa -B -e 'select home from sys_users where login="'$login'"' | tail -1`;
    file=${home}/conf/vhost.conf;
    if [ -d ${home}/conf ]; then
      touch $file;
      echo "<IfModule mod_suexec.c>" >> $file;
      echo "    SuexecUserGroup "$login" psacln" >> $file;
      echo "</IfModule>" >> $file;
    fi
  done

I would like to run the script but I am running into the problem I always have and that is that I can't get into the mysql as admin.

I thought the password was the same as my root login, but now I don't have a clue.

All the upgrades seem to go well and are able to login to mysql but I can't.

Anyone have any ideas where I can find out what my mysql password is?

I'm going to try my luck with 1and1 tech support now.

The admin password is the same as the admin password for your Plesk installation.

I have the same issue. Upgraded 7.1.6 -> 7.5.0 on RH9 machine.

Server loads through the roof, autoresponder spawns two instances, each one using around 50% of CPU as per "top" command.

Plesk support sent me a script that should fix qmail-smptd resource issue but mentioned that there is not yet any fix for the autoresponder issue. As a workaround I was offered to temporarily disable auto-responders on all acounts. My end-users wouldn't allow that so I can only wait for Plesk to address the auto-responder issue in 7.5.0.
:(

I guess I am in the same boat...I have RH9 and my dual cpu server is at 100% util on both cputs. I tried adding suexec entry but that seemed to fix the problem only temporarily. I sure hope plesk people have the fix soon....

Originally posted by inetwiz
Plesk support just logged in and patched my qmail and loads now appear to be "normal".

For reference, the problems appear to have been related to the RSA encryption keys in qmail control.

-=Caleb Newville=-

I believe that... because i first noticed this on my own messages. I use thunderbird email client with TLS and i noticed outgoing messages were taking 10x as long to send when TLS was on. a bit more investigation revealed cpu load was way high everytime qmail got a message.

unfortunately i dont have direct support with sw-soft (i rent my server from a provider who leases keys) so i am supposed to go through them but the control freak in me would rather just fix it myself, so can you please check your bash history and or post the contents of the changed config files? does anyone have this hotfix available for DL?

Back