• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

qmail / relaylock Problem

Gorgoroth

New Pleskian
Hello everybody!

Using SuSE 9.3 with Plesk 8.2.1 - upon booting the Server, all seems to work normally - shortly (really shortly) afterwards, Ples frontent dies with "too many SQL connections, SQL server unreachable".

On the console, ps -A yields hundreds of "relaylock" processes. They add up by the dozen per second and after a few minutes the server freezes completely.

Disabling qmail in smtp_psa in xinetd.d makes it run stable, mysql works like a dream then as well as any other application.

Does anyone have a clue for me on how to fix that?

Thanks a lot!

A "relaylock" is an ip connection to your mail server. Try limiting ip connections to 1 per ip address. Then the offending sending server must release the first "relaylock" before trying to send again.

Ok, will give that a try... also: why is the server running normally for well over 600 days and suddenly it freezes with this (reproducable) problem?

I'm not convinced that the problem is with your server unless you know for sure that one or two ip addresses is not causing multiple locks. About a month ago, I had 4 ip addresses hitting my server with over 500 connections at any given time from each separate ip. Combine that with the normal connections it almost knocked my server to it's knees. I finally had to block all email connections till I found how to limit connections to 1. My regulars customers were not happy.

Back