• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Qmail shows it's not running -> but it is running !

Farsus

Basic Pleskian
Hi all

I got a wierd problem :confused:

In plesk 8 Services management qmail is showing as not started but never the less it are running and server all mail as nothing was wrong.

If i try to start it in Services management nothing happens no error message and it still shows it not running.:rolleyes:

i have try stop if in shell and then try restart it in plesk stil nothing happens in plesk but off ourse qmail is stop ?;)

also adding more mail adress dont making problem it still show it stop but even that it's running and working perfect

It would be nice if i could stop and start it from plesk as it are soppuse to be.

Any one experience this before our a solution to this problem before

Grettings'

Farsus
RunCms / E-Xoops Main Site
www.runcms.org

i had the same probleme and then i want to reinstall the server and now plesk autoinstaller does no work.

Same problem over here. QMail seems to work fine, but for some reason it incorrectly detects status on Plesk's panel.

O/S: FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE-p6
PSA: Plesk 8.0.0

Even if I stop it via SSH and start it from Plesk, it runs the processes properly but still shows status as down. And of course, qmail start/stop from SSH works fine:
# /usr/local/psa/rc.d/qmail stop
Plesk: Qmail server has been stopped
# /usr/local/psa/rc.d/qmail start
Plesk: Qmail has been started
# /usr/local/psa/rc.d/qmail status
qmail-send (pid 19710) is running...

Any ideas?

PS: Plesk8 new interface seems nice

In /etc/inetd.conf is an error!

--> s/smtps/smtp
(or s/smtps/ssmtp

I think slith76 is right, I contacted SWSoft's support and they fixed it while they also told me:
The qmail status depends on two things. First Plesk checks qmail status with this:

# /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/mailmng --status-smtpd

Also Plesk checks if 25 port is listenning by inetd daemon. If one of these tests fail Plesk displays "not running" in control panel. In yout case most probably 25 port was closed.

By the way, I'm seriously impressed by SWSoft's technical support. They started dealing the issue instantly and with really high professionalism.

Good job SWSoft, special thanks to Alexander@SWSoft :)

Ups sorry forgot to say aim running on Fedora 4
Plesk version psa v8.0.0_build80060331.13 os_FedoraCore 4

And even that Plesk was updatet last night it still the same

I done every test wich shows it running.
I can stop start restart from shell have also try reboot server and still it show not started in the servermangment

wich do i cant stop restart etc from plesk control panel

any idea?

Hello,

Same problem here using Plesk 8 and FC3 (psa v8.0.0_build80060331.13 os_FedoraCore 3). I have upgraded the system yesterday and since then the qmail SMTP server shows it's stopped.

I can receive mail from inside (ie Watchdog alerts) but can't receive mail from outside (ie from my gmail account).

It's really annoying because my entire mail system is broken and I'd be very happy to know how to fix that.

Any idea ?

my mail work ok except form inside plesk :rolleyes:

so you could say my current situation are better than yours

Not that it are OK but at least i can send and recive mail.

Ok, my problem is solved. slith76 & psyxakias were right, but in my case both /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/mailmng --status-smtpd and telnet to port 25 were successful.

The problem was that the server was too slow to answer on port 25, so plesk thought it was down. To make it faster, I followed the instructions here :

http://kb.swsoft.com/article_22_298_en.html

My second problem was about not receiving mail from outside the server. It was caused by a dns problem : I had just upgraded my system (I'm running FC3 and did a "yum update") and my named.conf was screwed up. Hopefully the old one was saved under named.conf.rpmsave so I just had to move it to named.conf and restart bind.

Now everything's fine.

I hope my experience will help someone out there.

David

Originally posted by DavidF

My second problem was about not receiving mail from outside the server. It was caused by a dns problem : I had just upgraded my system (I'm running FC3 and did a "yum update") and my named.conf was screwed up. Hopefully the old one was saved under named.conf.rpmsave so I just had to move it to named.conf and restart bind.

Now everything's fine.

I hope my experience will help someone out there.

David [/B]

Hi DavidF

Thank you
As a matter off fact it did i just make a YUM update a last night out off the box qmail start to act normal in the service manegment.
BUT "Bind" diead :rolleyes: after reading what you wrote here and i wasent able to start form niether panel our command line .
I took a big look after all named to se if by any change any was change. Wich was the cache as you to notice i replace as you with the named.rpmsave did a restart from commandline a VIOLA!:D every thing work the way it was expectet to

Thanks for given the direction for this

No there hopefully will be no more off this wierd buggies :rolleyes:

Gretting's

Farsus

I have the same problem and im badly lost with it...

Running FC4 with plesk 8.01 clean install...

[root@host base]# telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

[root@host base]# netstat -an |grep ':25'
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:25 0.0.0.0:* LIST
EN
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:25 127.0.0.1:56334 TIME
_WAIT

It all seem to work, but it does not! It seems e-mail can't be send nor received. I read something about smtp_psa and smtps_psa both where not on my server, I took them from a 7.5.4. box ... Nothing changed...

Is the file for 8.x different? If so can some one upload those?

The psa_smtp files looks like:
service smtp
{
socket_type = stream
protocol = tcp
wait = no
disable = no
user = root
instances = UNLIMITED
server = /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
server_args = /usr/sbin/rblsmtpd -r blackholes.mail-abuse.org -r relays.ordb.org -r bl.spamcop.net -r list.dsbl.org /var/qmail/bin/relaylock /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd /var/qmail/bin/smtp_auth /var/qmail/bin/true /var/qmail/bin/cmd5checkpw /var/qmail/bin/true
}

MAIL LOG seems to be go in a round... Plesk keeps giving it on not working, when hitting the start button it does nothing.

Aug 21 14:03:51 host qmail: 1156161831.354899 alert: cannot start: qmail-send is already running
Aug 21 14:03:53 host qmail: 1156161833.893273 alert: cannot start: qmail-send is already running
Aug 21 14:03:55 host qmail: 1156161835.554517 alert: cannot start: qmail-send is already running
Aug 21 14:03:59 host qmail: 1156161839.936762 status: exiting
Aug 21 14:04:00 host qmail: 1156161840.065223 status: local 0/10 remote 0/20
Aug 21 14:19:57 host qmail: 1156162797.880250 status: exiting
Aug 21 14:20:00 host qmail: 1156162800.799370 status: local 0/10 remote 0/20

edit... http://kb.swsoft.com/article_22_298_en.html did not work for me...

EDIT².... HORDE actually comes up with this error... When sending.
Failed to connect to localhost:25 [SMTP: Failed to connect socket: Connection refused (code: -1, response: )]

and telnet can't connect either...
[root@host bin]# telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

Its going from bad to worse :(

Who can give me a clue of what to do :rolleyes:

I'm working with a clean build on CentOS 4.3 and am having the same problem with Qmail. It's runing but not answering to telnet on 25. After dicking around with the firewall and qmail, I remembered an error I had when installing rblsmtpd. So I reinstalled spamassassin and rblsmtpd and qmail started talking again. But I still get the error.

BIND: cannot assign requested address

I have also noticed my BIND config doesn't have the corrent IP in it, it's still a default config.

To those still having problems, force a reinstall of spamassassin and/or rblsmtpd to see if that gets qmail answering. Service manager now says my Qmail is running.

Also, on a clean install (non upgrade), the /etc/xinetd.d/smtp_psa files are not there/used.

same error here, i have plesk on fedora 4 and smtp is not showed as running in plesk service monitor..

i got no answer on telnet localhost 25, sending via webmin works, but i guess webmin uses sendmail to send mail ;)

could someone please help me out? i paid 300 bucks to setup again my server and now the essential part, mailing, doesnt work...

^^in horde, i get the same error, port 25, connection refused.

the /etc/xinetd.d/smtp_psa files are not there/used.

Can some one provide us with those files? Are the problems caused by this?

psa-qmail-rblsmtpd is not helping me, did not even installed those packages... Just a clean install...

It seems this is caused from (in control panel) updateing from plesk 8.01 to a newer build...

Time for hotfix6......?!

I'm not sure, but looks like it created the smtp file after I imported a client/domain. It was all of a sudden there when I tried to copy the files over from another server. I'm not sure if it is using it, but the smtp_additional file that I use to open Submission is now answering to telnet. Looks like Bind is working also. Everything seems to be working for me now.

Did you try reinstalling spamassassin also?

Good that things worked out for u... Im going slightly mental out here :mad:

Yes I reinstalled qmail, spamassasin, psa-qmail-rblsmtpd... This does not work nor I get a psa_smtp file out it self...

The psa_smtp is like? >>

service smtp
{
socket_type = stream
protocol = tcp
wait = no
disable = no
user = root
instances = UNLIMITED
server = /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
server_args = /usr/sbin/rblsmtpd -r etc...
}

Yea, that's what it looks like.

Not sure what the problem could be with you if you've already installed the packages. I'm assuming you've reinstalled Courier-IMAP as well and made sure your firewall was configed.. hmm

yes I reinstalled that too... Firewall not running (no firewall installed)... it - should - work...

Meaby some other one has a sugestion before the box is going out of the window

Dont walk arround in Rotterdam without looking above u ;)

me thinks about the same... ****... gonna install debian 3.1 and manage it through ssh, if these problems persist...

Back